Ch 18

No "confession" yet here because.

Warning: child abuse, implied kidnapping, blood, violence  (just short but still!) 

~

Xie Lian

There was a new child. 

But this one was different. You see, all children stay together in one room. They would wait for their turn to be sold off to bad people, and although Xie Lian badly wanted to help, he couldn't. He was just ten years old. What could a ten-year-old do against big bad guys?

His task was simple: make sure every kid ate. And no, the portions were not that great either. It was enough to get by, enough to fill their stomachs. And for a ten-year-old boy, it was baffling. And each year that passed by living under that vile man's roof was like a blur to the young boy. 

And perhaps, he hadn't realized fully yet how dire his situation was.

Xie Lian was tracing something on the ground when the bad man in white came and stopped his tracks right where he was. He was holding a smaller child. The child looked small but he looked neat with his dress shirt tucked in his shorts. His hair was wavy and so black. He was cute. And looked so stubborn. 

The other child's face held no emotion but his eye had a fire in it. Too bad, Xie Lian couldn't see his other eye since his bangs fell right on top of it to hide it. 

"This boy will be staying in Room 2."

He had a room for himself, unlike other kids. That was what set him apart. The bad man in white just told him because he would be the one giving the food to the kids. 

Then, the bad man went away, tugging the boy by his elbow. There was little resistance in those feeble limbs but Xie Lian knew he didn't stand a chance to escape. 

Nobody did. 

Xie Lian's ear was ringing. He dropped a glass of water when the bad man asked for it. He didn't mean for it to slip from his small hands. But the bad man in white was angered by it and slapped him hard.

Immediately, Xie Lian's eyes were filled with tears as he bit his lower lip. His hands were holding his cheek as if it would ease the sting. 

"You, my child, are useless."

"Gege? Gege, please wake up. Please."

Xie Lian jolted awake. His throat felt dry and his eyes stung.

"There." The man hovered over him wiping his tears gently. "You're okay, gege." Hua Cheng helped him sit and drink water. 

Xie Lian felt a lot better. Nightmares weren't new to him and sleeping beside San Lang had helped chase those away. But right now, San Lang wasn't sleeping beside him. He had been sleeping on the couch. 

"If you wanna talk about it, I'm here." Hua Cheng brushed his hair softly. 

"Hmm, thank you, San Lang. Maybe next time." He didn't want to talk about it yet. He didn't want to visit down the memory lane and feel all the regret, fear, guilt, and grief bottled up inside him. Perhaps, eventually, but not now. 

"Anytime." Hua Cheng slowly and carefully assisted him to lay down again. "You can sleep again, gege. I promise I'll stay up until you sleep."

Xie Lian giggled lightly and sleepily. "No need, San Lang. I'm fine."

"I'm not." He pouted in a teasing manner. "This San Lang doesn't like if his gege is hurting or not comfortable in any way."

"Hmm," Xie Lian hummed, indulging. "San Lang is so strong. He chases my nightmares away."