Ch6

Has POV shifts. I hope you don't mind if I focus more on HC|XL relationship.

CW// Panic attack, mentions of blood, implied violence

-

Xie Lian's

Xie Lian woke up when he heard his phone's muffled ringing. The light tried to invade his eyes just as soon and so he tightly closed them. Moving, he lightly groaned and let his hand crawl under his pillow. He was still groggy from sleep but he needed to answer the call. He covered his eyes with his upper arm and was uncaring about who was calling, Xie Lian, with a hoarse voice, answered the call. "Good morning."

"Ah~ Good morning, Xie Lian. I apologize for such short and informal notice, but can I meet you in two hours?" It was Mayor Jun Wu's voice, sounding a little regretful.

Xie Lian's eyes opened as quickly as the speed of light. Well, such was an exaggeration but that was it. He sat up straight and blinked his eyes profusely. He looked at his side and saw San Lang looking at him while sipping a cup of coffee. Xie Lian's hand automatically covered his mouth. San Lang didn't know his line of work that much yet if he would consider the things they talked about but Xie Lian was sure that San Lang knew given their conversation yesterday. The man seemed to know so much more than what they had been talking. "Mayor, of course, good morning. Pardon me. I just woke up." He tried to whisper, well, futilely.

"It is fine. I don't hold it against you." Mayor Jun Wu chuckled. So considerate. Xie Lian really admired the Mayor. For the days he worked with him, Xie Lian found the Mayor almost spotless. "I have another major task to give you." He couldn't miss the seriousness in the Mayor's voice.

"Okay, Mayor. I will be there in two hours." San Lang looked at him intensely before standing up to cook something.

"See you, son."

"See you, Mayor." The Mayor ended the call.

"Good morning, San Lang. I have to go to work." He slumped. Xie Lian, as usual, had a nightmare-riddled sleep.  As much as he was tempted to wallow in sorrow for the pain he experienced in the past, he'd rather not. 

While cooking, San Lang turned to him and asked a ridiculous question out of nowhere. "Can San Lang come with you?" San Lang's lips were extended into a slight pout. Cute. Xie Lian always said cute in his mind. Well, San Lang was really cute, but most often, he was handsome.

"You cannot, San Lang," Xie Lian simply said. The Mayor hired a private investigator for a reason and San Lang could not just come with him. Aside for that reason, Xie Lian didn't know what dangers lie ahead of them if ever the Mayor would give him a heavy task this time. He might not be able to protect and keep San Lang safe.

"Please, gege. I want to go with you, ge." San Lang looked at him with sparkly sharp eyes and Xie Lian could almost feel himself giving in to the request. However, Xie Lian was a decisive man. He couldn't be swayed by some cute shenanigans. Or is he really?

"San Lang, you really cannot." Xie Lian picked up his towel and clothes. San Lang let out a soft whine and continued on cooking while Xie Lian waltzed to the bathroom to take a bath.

After they have eaten, San Lang volunteered to wash the dishes and feed Ruoye because Xie Lian had an important meeting to attend to and it would take a good while to arrive to the city proper from where Xie Lian was residing.

"I will go with you later, gege," San Lang chirped. The man could be determined whenever he wanted to be. Xie Lian shook his head in amusement, not really thinking that San Lang meant those words. He thought that San Lang was just being whiny about not being allowed to go with him.