What My Mother Forgot: 1st Grade

Most days... my Mother dropped me off at the bus stop before dropping my Brother off at school and heading to work.

But for some reason, this time, she didn't.

Instead, she dropped him off and got on the highway.

I thought she was taking me to the doctor, but we passed the exit.

"Where are we going?'

My Mother screamed. "Why are you still here!?"

"I thought I was going to the doctor."

Then she laughed. "I forgot you were here."

Since I'd missed the bus, she had to drive me a half-hour in the opposite direction to school and was late for work.

She kept asking me, "Why didn't you say something sooner? Didn't you think it was weird I was getting on the highway?"

Since I was late, she had to take me to the office, and she recounted her story to the secretary as she signed me in, just as she would many more times in my formative years.

"I forgot she was back there, and then I just heard this big sigh. And it scared me." She laughed and pressed her hand to her chest. "I asked her, 'Didn't you think it was weird we were getting on the highway?'"

The secretary smiled and nodded her head.

She and all the other adults agreed.

I should have said something when she got on the highway.