The Long Bus Ride

We had an early dismissal.

I told my teacher that I was worried about being picked up, but she said that the office called all the parents. Someone would be there to get me.

Yet, when I got to my stop, no one was there.

It had happened before...

In Kindergarten, I had certain days where I stayed after and went to Latchkey and days I rode the bus.

My teacher reminded me which day was which, but one time we had a substitute.

She announced to the class that everyone was a bus rider, but I knew it was a Latchkey day.

I asked her if I really was supposed to ride the bus.

She said, "Yes, everyone is riding the bus today."

So even though I knew she was wrong, I didn't go to Latchkey.

And of course, no adult was at the bus stop.

For the next half hour, I rode around with the bus driver while she finished her route and exchanged frantic messages over the radio about what she should do with me.

Eventually, I moved onto another bus.

No other kids, though.

"Is someone coming to get me?" I asked.

But she didn't answer. Instead she drove me to a different school. 

One I hadn't been to before.

She parked in the circle drive and told me to follow her behind the building.

There, another woman stood watching a group of older boys play basketball.

As the Driver started to make introductions, my Dad walked up.

Ecstatic, the 2nd bus driver squealed and hugged him, "Oh, thank goodness!"

I hugged him too.

But in the car, he scolded me. "Why did you get on the bus? You knew today was a Latchkey day."

I told him about the substitute. But to him, that was no excuse. "I should have known better. I should have said something."

My Mother was furious too.

"Well, you should have known better." She scolded.

This time I was careful.

When the Driver asked about my Mom, I told her she was home sleeping because she worked nights.

This time the Driver left me with another mom who volunteered to wait with me until my mom finally showed up.