Sparkles

When I was six years old I got a kitten. 

He was a Siamese mixed tabby cat with blue eyes that would cross.

He was dumb as a rock, but I loved him and  I named him Sparkles.

Although my parents disagreed about the dumb part.

My dad said he was actually pretty smart because whenever he wanted to go anywhere he'd meow and I'd rush to carry him.

By the end of the 8th grade, my mom's boyfriend was now her fiancé.

They were selling my parent's house (my mom's house now) to move into Rick's.

Rick's daughter, Kitty, was an adult who already lived in the house with her two cats.

My mom sat us down. "We're not taking Sparkles to Rick's house." Only her cat would be moving. In fact we were not taking my brother's cat or our dog either. 

"It is your job to find a new home for your pets." She said.

My dad agreed to take my brother's cat, and his parents agreed to take our dog.

But...no one wanted Sparkles. 

When I explained this to my mother, she just got angry.

"If you can't find a home for him, then I will have to take him to be euthanized."

I was starting to feel desperate, and finally a friend agreed to take him.

I cried so much when I handed him over, but at least I might still get to see him. 

At school the next week I asked how Sparkles was doing. 

"Oh he's fine I think."

I sat there for a second processing. 

"What do you mean?"

She rolled her eyes, "Well he was hiding for a little while and then when my mom got home he ran outside. We haven't seen him since. But I'm sure he'll show up soon."

He did not ever come back. I'd learn later that even then they suspected he's been eaten by coyotes.