Sweet Dreams: Apologies

Just how deep do wounds go?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, I was first to wake. It was a force of habit honed through the many years of taking care of Sunny that I doubt I can ever get rid of. No matter just how tired I am the previous night, I would always wake up at half past five every morning. Normally, I would have been okay with it. But after a night of incessant kicks from Taehyung Jr., I was lucky to have gotten three hours of decent sleep. Taehyung Sr. snored beside me. I looked over at him, his curls all over the place. He had been so excited when I told him I was pregnant, and he squealed like a little girl when we found out we were going to have a boy. He was intent on naming our son Taehyung Jr., something that our parents both said was... unusual. And I agree with them. Only, Taehyung was of a different mindset, and I have no idea how to tell him that I didn't want our son to be called Kim Taehyung Jr.

He snorted and then turned his head, scratching at an arm before hugging the body pillow. It was supposed to be mine, but it has gotten uncomfortable for me since I turned seven months. So, now, he has full monopoly of it. Chuckling, I reached over and ruffled his curls. Taehyung's going to be an amazing dad, and I can't wait to see him with our child.

I grunted myself out of bed and began my morning duties. But today was extra special because Taehyung was scheduled to leave to day for his commercial shooting in Busan. He didn't want to go, saying that he was afraid to leave me behind in my current state. But this was a good opportunity for him, and let's face it, I love him but he has been a little too overprotective of me ever since I got pregnant. It's sweet, yes, and I can't stress just how much it means to me that he's so caring, but I just need some time for myself. He woke up two hours later, just as I had finished cooking breakfast. When he saw his suitcase in the living room, he gave a pause.

"I'm not going," he declared.

I sighed, sitting down by the table before turning to him. "Honey, don't start," I said.

"I'm serious," he retorted, looking a lot like a kid who's about to throw a fit. "I'm not going. I know you didn't have much sleep last night. Taehyung Jr. kept you up again. What if something happens to you, huh? What if you go into labor? I don't want to be away when my first born arrives into this world!"

"Honey, you are over reacting," I told him patiently. "I slept just fine last night. The baby didn't kick all that much. Nothing will happen to me, and you heard what the doctor said last time. He's holding onto me just fine. I'm not going to into labor any time soon. You'll get to be there when the big day comes."

"But - "

"No buts, now come on over here by yourself because I can't be bothered to get up and drag you over."

He pouted, crossing his arms over his chest. But then, he stomped his way over and sat down in his seat.

"Just promise me you'll be all right," he said, taking my hand. 

"I'll be all right, I promise."

He looked at me, worry deep in his eyes. Fine, things may not be as all right as they are. It's not just the baby kicking that's keeping me up at night these days. Sunny's dreams are getting... realistic again, and old emotions are stirring up. It seems as though no matter how much I tell myself that I've moved on, some wounds just never heal. And although I haven't told Taehyung about the recurrence, I'm sure he knows.

"I'll be fine," I repeated, giving his hand a squeeze. "I promise."

He heaved a sigh. "Fine, but if something happens to you, I'm," he stammered, pursing his lips in thought. "I'm going to be really upset."