The New Guy

“What do you mean it’s not working?” I said.

“Sorry Miss, but your card isn’t working. Do you have any other ones?”

“No I’m all out” I whined.

Right now we were standing at the front desk of the hotel trying to check out. I couldn’t pay for the room though, because my debit card was all out supposedly, and they didn’t take any of my other ones. So now what? I can’t leave until I pay. Jenna only brought cash, and she spent most of it.

“Here” said a male voice from behind me, and an arm went around my head handing the lady a credit card. “Pay for it with this.”

“What?” I turned around to see a handsome boy probably about my age. He stood almost a foot taller than me, and when he looked down at me I noticed his brown eyes were dark. He was very tan, and was dressed like a surfer, in some khaki shorts and a simple tank top.

“What?” he said. “I can’t let a pretty girl like you get stuck here without any money.” He smiled.

He smiled. He didn’t smirk. He smiled.

“Um…you don’t have to pay…it’s a lot!”

“What? I can’t be a gentleman?”

I just laughed. “Um thanks…I feel like I owe you big time.”

“Well….” He started “What are you doing for the rest of the day?”

“Uhh…”

“How about you let me show you around the city?”

“Uh…Okay? I guess. I mean we were supposed to hang out here today anyways.” I smiled at him.

“Alright! Then let’s do this!” he pumped his fist in the air.

I just laughed and we all walked out. He quickly called someone to let them know that he was going to be busy for the day. We got into my car and the guy who paid for us sat shotgun while I drove. I just realized I don’t even know his name yet!

“Um...what’s your name?” I asked cautiously. I realized he could be a crazy axe murderer, or some creepy stalker. What if he was really an old wizard in disguise? Yes, I just said wizard. Come at me bro.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

“I asked you first!” I laughed nervously, I was seriously considering this creepy old wizard thing.

“My name is Andrew”

“Cool!” I said.

“And yours?”

“Oh right! Katrina. But you can call me Kat for short if you want.” I smiled. That was a weird thing for me to say. The only person who ever calls me Kat is Jenna.

“WHAT? You never let me call you Kat!” Max interjected from the backseat.

“You never asked.”

“Neither did he” he pointed out.

“Yeah, well I like Andrew…your just….you!”

He crossed his arms and huffed like a little kid falling back into his seat. I smiled back to Andrew who didn’t even realize me and Max fighting. He was on the phone with someone.

“Mom! Okay, fine…yes….I will….ok bye”

I didn’t bother asking, we just met! But I figured she was just calling him back from earlier.

“So…where are we going first?” I asked Andrew.

“Hmmm…take the next right.”

“Okay..?”