twenty three

* i'm back with a drama-filled chapter!! enjoy. please vote and comment throughout! thank you so much - it means a lot to me <3 *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

I tossed and I turned, unable to get any shut eye. Meanwhile, Lando was sleeping peacefully beside me, and he didn't even realise that I was unable to sleep. I didn't blame him. Considering we were flying out to Monaco before the end of the day, he needed some rest, especially with such an important race weekend coming up. I couldn't wait to watch him race in Formula 1 in Monaco, the most iconic circuit of them all.

I just wasn't feeling too great. There was something - and I couldn't quite figure out what exactly - that was bothering me. I didn't feel sick, I didn't have a headache, or a temperature, or anything like that. Something just wasn't right. There was no way it could be nerves, considering I travelled around the world with Lando more often than we were at home. There was nothing to be nervous about, and therefore, no clear explanation for feeling unwell.

--

The dull pain in my chest woke me before my alarm rang out. I noticed that the bed beside me was empty, able to hear the shower in the en-suite. Lando must've woken before me, and I was probably out cold after not falling asleep until what felt like only five minutes ago. I sighed, sitting up and rubbing my eyes, before reaching for my phone to turn off the alarm.

As I sat upright in bed, I realised that the pain I was feeling was in my chest, unaware of that a few moments ago when I woke up. Unusual, because I've not had chest pain in years now. Fear grew within me, panic coursing through my veins. All sorts of silly thoughts began to pervade in my head; maybe it's serious, was the main thing. Why now? Why today? With our flight to Nice scheduled to leave Heathrow this afternoon, there wasn't really time to be worrying about my chest pain. But, I couldn't ignore it. I'm terrified.

"Lando!" All other noise stopped, as I became totally engrossed in capturing the attention of my best friend. I really needed him right now, to reassure me, but I knew he would panic and we would be headed to the hospital before I could protest. I had to be grateful for how much Lando cared about me. "Lando!"

He didn't hear me the first time, but after my second call, I heard the shower switch off and the cubicle door sliding open. Within seconds, he appeared in the doorway, a towel wrapped around his waist, and he was rushing to my side, dropping to his knees so that he could be at the same level as I was. Meanwhile, I was holding my chest, just trying to figure out what sort of pain I was actually feeling.

"Mila? What's going on?" Clearly stressed, Lando ran his fingers through his soaking wet hair. As soon as he processed how I was sitting, he panicked. "Is it your heart? Tell me. Talk to me."

"I just have chest pain," I muttered, definitely not wanting to startle him or worry him. "It's not bad, just a dull pain in my chest."

"I'll take you to the hospital," Lando stood up, holding onto the towel around his waist before rushing towards his wardrobe. "If you have any sort of chest pain, you need to get it checked out, Mila."

"Lando, it's not that bad," our Monaco schedule was the only thing on my mind. This race was important, and the pair of us had been looking forward to it since the start of the season. I wasn't letting any silly chest pain get in the way of that. "I'm fine. It'll subside."

"When was the last time you had chest pain, Mila?" Lando held a pair of jeans, a hoodie and a t-shirt over his arm. He paused from collecting his underwear to look at me. I knew not to argue with him, especially right now, but I just wanted to be on our flight to Monaco with no worries. "Tell me, honestly."