Chapter 21: Empty Depression

Mikey and Sundae had not left Mikey's room for five days. After returning home, the first thing they did was collapse on his bed and the next night went out to get a couple of boxes of pizza. Since then, they had not moved. His brothers and sister would swing by, trying to cheer him up and convince him to come out, but none of them succeeded. April even planned a welcome home water balloon fight, but that only brought him to tears.

Finally, he emerged from his room, but only went as far as the kitchen and he wished he didn't see the horrified mess. Eggs, bacon, toast, juice, milk, and batter were splotched all over the walls, floor, and table, since he left home and the others can't cook, and some of the food was beginning to rot when not fully being cleaned up. He sighed and carefully walked onto the clean spots of the floor and pulled out the cleaning supplies from under the sink and from the supply closet stored somewhere.

As he was cleaning up the mess, he heard a tiny meow behind him which made him turn his attention from the spilled batter he was scrubbing off the floor. Over by the fridge, Sundae was standing on her tiny little legs and pushing up a soaked sponge to clean off the sticky orange juice. It made Mikey smile a little bit before turning back to the batter to scrub more of it off. Neight did Mikey or Sundae notice they were being watched.

She used whatever spells she could use to make herself invisible and silence her sounds so they wouldn't attract any unwanted attention. Her bones were slightly touching the mess surrounding her, but they somehow disappeared when she was touching them with her white, bony hoof. Silently walking around them was the pony of bones they were trying to forget. She had done nothing but watch Pinkie, Gummy, Mikey and Sundae the past few days, when she wasn't trying to comfort her daughter. It had all been through a magic mirror pool until now. It ached her heart to see them like this, and up close was even worse. Why did she not stop the torture Pinkie and her Pokemon put them in then? She knew very well Pinkie Pie and Gummy could not stay away from them as they're watching through the mirror pool back at the hideout. She wished they could do more than just worship them from afar and not sit in darkness to let ticky by without a second of stopping. She would imagine Pinkie Pie tackling into Mikey's arms and Gummy sweeping up the tiny Skitty into his arms, apologizing for everything and telling them how much the pony and the Krokorok loved them. She imagined Michelangelo holding her close to his heart with no intention of ever letting go and Sundae snuggling in the arms of Gummy.

But they had already done enough and refused to ever go near Mikey, even in plush form.

"Mikey!"

At the sound of Leonardo's voice, the skeletal pony quickly magiced the breakfast mess away and backed away into the farthest corner of the room. She watched the oldest blue masked turtle approach his baby brother and his partner kitten Pokemon, carrying a small stack of comic books in his arms. "Nice to see that you and Sundae are out of your room," he said with a smile. "I brought some of my comic books that might cheer you up." The orange masked remained silent for a moment and fought back the urge to cry as he didn't have any more tears left to cry anymore. Sundae sensed her trainer's slight distress and dropped the soaked sponge before running over to the turtle then jumping into his arms to which she was caught in time. Mikey petted her gently before standing up. "Thanks," he muttered. "But I don't think reading's going to make me feel better." His response nearly sent a shock down to Leo.

Reading comics was one of Mikey's favorite things to do and he never refused a comic book. Leo's heart cracked at the sight of his brother's empty self since he came home. "Well, you have to do something," he said, worriedly. "Maybe what you need is a break, to get your mind off..." He didn't dare to say it as it was a very sensitive part to his baby brother and by the sense of aura, Sundae was sensitive to it too. He had to say something quick before they snapped into tears again. "Anyway, Splinter's returning home tomorrow from the training exercise with April, Casey, and Karai. You want to come along?" His suggestion didn't give Sundae any time to think and she tried to hide herself in the youngest turtle's arms, which made Leo realize that Splinter doesn't know they brought a Pokemon home but he's sure to get him to accept the kitten Pokemon. Mikey, on the other hand, did not take time to think about it and nodded.