Chapter 20

Two hours after the code was called, the patients were moved back up to the higher floors into their previous rooms. No one explained anything, but Nishinoya and Asahi didn't have to wait long for Suga to come back, Daichi and (slightly surprisingly) Kuroo at his heels. Nishinoya had expected to see Bokuto, but it was probably for the best that he didn't come.

"Asahi, I have a couple of questions if you're fine to answer them," Kuroo said, glancing at Suga but sticking his attention to Asahi. Suga checked Asahi over and sighed, nodding. Obviously, he didn't agree, but this was important. "First off, do you know what a Code Black is?" 

"How are we supposed to know if no one tells us anything?" Nishinoya snapped. "No, we don't know!" Suga put a hand on his shoulder and Nishinoya forced back the snide comments building up in his chest. How could Kuroo expect them to know when no one said anything to them about it?!

Kuroo didn't even glance at the ex-libero. "A Code Black means that there's been a report or sighting of a bomb or suspicious object that warrants the attention of the police. In this case, it was a bomb with this attached." He handed Asahi a typed-up letter. 

'Asahi, 
You've escaped all previous attempts because of your stupid little bodyguard. What are you going to do if he dies for you? Will you finally keel over like I've been trying to get you to do? Give up and hand yourself in? Or are you going to hire another guard, like the throwaway you know the shorty to be?

You have ten days left Asahi. Guard or not, I will find a way past Nishinoya to get you. Watch your back.'

"Now, I know this is a stupid thing to ask, but do you know who might have such a grudge against you as to leave this for you to find?" Kuroo asked. "I need to know anything you might hold, no matter what. Don't be scared to share what you know. If it makes you feel safer, I'll assign an agent or two to protect you while Nishinoya is out of commission." Kuroo saw something in Asahi's expression and added- "Daichi has an officer keeping an eye on Leo, before you ask about him."

"I don't have a clue who it might be." Asahi said, and the others knew immediately, just because they'd talked to Asahi for years by now, that he was speaking truthfully. "I have no idea who-"

"His wife." Nishinoya cut in, eyes wide with realization. "She has no alibi for what she was doing when the sniper came by, no alibi for the home invasion in which the invader had a key to the house, and where is she now when there was a bomb? I have contacts. I can find out who ordered the sniper, the home invasion, and I'll bet I already know who made that bomb." 

"Why would you accuse Himari?! After all she's done for me! All she's done for you!" Asahi rose, angered by his friend's wild accusations. "How dare you look me in the eye and tell me you think my wife is trying to kill me?!"

"'Till death do us part' is part of your vows. Asahi, like it or not it's a viable option. If you died, she would get a large sum of money from your life insurance." Daichi said, not exactly taking sides but pointing out obvious facts. "I'm not saying Nishinoya's right, it is a wild accusation, but there's some ground it can stand on. It's not unheard of, either." 

"I don't have life insurance. I don't know if I told Himari that, she never asked, but I never bothered with it." Asahi said. "My death wouldn't be 'worth' anything to anyone unless they truly wanted me dead, then it would give them satisfaction I suppose, but she's certainly not getting money from me." 

"Is there any way she might have figured this out?" Kuroo said, writing things down on his notepad.

"I don't know. She has access to all of my things. My bank account, my non-confidential work folders, my laptop, my phone, even a key to my office so she can visit if I'm working long hours. There are no secrets on my end and I never thought there were on hers." Asahi said. Nishinoya's heart fell. Why? He should break the news.