seriously

Right as I began to walk down the hallway, I was stopped by someone.

"Seriously! Do you literally just pop out of air? Like personal space? Maybe a warning once and a while."

"Wow, temper. Where's your friend, Miles. Oh, right. You two had a fight. But, seriously where is he? I haven't seen him all day."

"School hasn't even started yet. Why would you have seen him?"

"Oh, well, me and my girls were walking all around the school. Just to see where everyone went for spring break and that sort of thing. Nobody went somewhere as good as me. I spent all of the break in Hawaii, getting a tan and chilling at the beach."

"Wow, that is so interesting. Not really I don't care."

"Well it's not like you went anywhere better. You probably just stayed around at home. Skating at the rink so that you can get better. Oh wait, there's no way that you could ever get better at skating. Unless of course you practiced a long time. And I mean a long time. You might be as good as me when you're say, ninety?"

Lizzie and her friends all started giggling at this mean joke. Sometimes I think that they are robots she created just so she could have actual friends. And she's wrong. I'm actually pretty good at skating. We're probably at the same level. But she doesn't care, she will make fun of nothing, that's just how she is.

"Sure, and then I'll be so good, because I'll have been training for seventy-eight years. And if I can still skate at that age, well I'm awesome."

"Right. That doesn't even make sense."

She looked at her friends confused. They all shrugged. Doofuses.

"Whatever. I have to get to class."

I made my way to my homeroom. As soon as I walked in the door, it was so strange. All of a sudden, it hit me. I wasn't going to be seeing my best friend every day. We have last names with the same first letter, so we would sit next to each other every year. But not this year, I guess. Or ever again. At the same time I was thinking if anybody had noticed he wasn't here. What about his parents? Did they notice he didn't come home last night? I don't know them very well. They don't like me very much. What is going to happen? What the heck is going to happen? I guess I was thinking too hard, because...

"Miss Martinez? Are you alright?"

I opened my eyes to find that I'd fallen, and I was on the floor. Breathing heavily.

"Miss Martinez?"

"What?"

"Oh, good. You're alive. Do you need to go to the nurses office."

My teacher helped me up. And I rubbed the back of my head. Wow, I fell hard.

"I guess so. I don't know what happened."

"Well, what we saw was that all of the sudden you started breathing like crazy. Then, you fell over. After that, you were basically out for five minutes. We were thinking of calling the ambulance. Why don't you go to the nurse now?"

"Yeah, okay."

"Maia, go with her please."

Maia got up and out of her desk and walked over to me. She kept her distance, like I was sick or something.

As I walked out of the classroom embarrassed I thought to myself how weird that was. I'd never fainted before. At the time I didn't really think about it too much. I was too worried about my other problems. I could feel my head swelling. Maia just followed behind me with a buffer of space between us.