sometime soon

Naia and I were sitting on her bed, getting ready for court. She was asking me questions, while I tried to answer them.

"AJ? You okay?"

"I guess."

"Something's been on your mind ever since the hospital. You've been different. What happened? Please tell me."

"I can't."

She looked hurt.

"It's not that I don't want to. I do. But..."

"But, what? I'm your best friend. Right?"

"You are. It's too complicated."

"You should be able to tell me."

"I don't want to die!"

She looked at me confused. I couldn't take it anymore. It was too much pressure.

"If I tell you I might be killed."

"What?"

"Do you promise you won't tell anyone? No one?"

"Yes! Whatever you want."

She looked so genuine. So dedicated. I decided to take a chance. And it was a chance worth taking.

"I know who murdered Miles."

"Who?"

"The owner of Skate Away."

"Who's that? Sorry, I don't skate."

"Dave, the owner of the roller rink."

"Why is that name familiar?"

"Because, though you've never been to the rink, you've met him.'

"Where?"

"He's..."

"He's what?"

"Cameron's dad."

"What!?"

"I know. Real shocker."

I said it sarcastically. Which I hoped didn't make her feel bad. It was a real shocker. I was just in a mood.

"That's why I've been so upset. I trusted him. And now I don't even know what to think."

Naia stared at me. She looked so shocked, and confused. I knew I shouldn't have told her. It's causing me enough problems as it is. I don't need her fainting everywhere she goes.

"I..."

She hugged me. It wasn't as good as a dad hug, but better than others I've had.

"I have something to tell you."

"What?"

I panicked. What if she had dark secrets too? But her mom came up the stairs, just as she was about to tell me.

"Girls. We have to get going. You ready?"

I nodded. As I stood up I felt light headed. But with all my might, I tried to stay conscious. We walked out the door and down the stairs. Where my dad, JoJo and Ricky were waiting. JoJo was asleep, but she still looked really cute in the dress Ricky bought her for court.

"You ready?"

I looked up at my dad. And nodded.

"Let's go."

The six of us headed out the door. And into Naia's mom's minivan. The drive there was silent. But I was glad it was.