singing

Later that week was the roller skating competition. For some strange reason I was still allowed to compete. Even though I was almost under house arrest. So that's something.

"I can't believe you're even still here."

Ugh, it's her again. The girl who drives me out of my mind. The one that pops out of nowhere.

"Me neither. I am like a hashtag blessed. Tots cool everyone!"

She rolled her eyes. Then she skated away to finish practicing for her number. I was super excited for the day, and even she couldn't ruin that. I would be dancing to a song that I wrote. It's about my life and I was ready. I'd been practicing at home, I got banned from the rink, and I was excited to get on the floor again. Again, why was I allowed to compete?

Lizzie came back before my performance. She was very proud of her outfit. She had a shiny silver skirt over black leggings. And she was wearing this red off-the-shoulder top that was also a crop top. Like too much.

I don't get crop tops. Why do people like them so much? They just make your belly button cold. It's pointless. Same with really short shorts. We don't want to see your butt. At least I don't, but who would?

"Hey loser."

"Hi,"

"I see you didn't put any effort into your outfit."

She looks down at what I'm wearing with disgust. For once I actually put some thought into my clothing. I'm wearing white leggings, black overalls and a white shirt with billowy sleeves. I like the sleeves because they're fun. I don't really know why.

"Of course I didn't. You must not know me."

"I don't. Because I don't want to."

"Good."

I skated away and headed towards the entrance to the rink. They announced my name and I skated out. The music started. And I began.

"You and me

We've known each other a while

But now you're family

I don't think that I like you

I really miss you

You left without a notice

That left me feeling blue

I didn't think that I would care

Why did this have to happen

It's life

Why did you have to go

It's life

Why did she have to die

It's life

I've got all the bad luck

It's part of who I am

All with just a tuck

It's shaped me

Sometimes these things feel like they're happening only to me

But that's not true

They happen to he and she and we

It's life

When he moved in

I was real upset

I spent the night in a bin

He came too soon

When you got taken

I was so confused

Why'd you have to break in

It destroyed my life

Why'd you make mistakes

It's life

Why'd she have to come

It's life

Why'd they take her life

It's life

Things happen for a reason

But that reasons often dumb

Something bad each season

It's always coming to me

I've got the bad luck

I have the scars to prove it

So many people I know

Are dead

In jail

Or Dying

Cuz that's just how I am

Good things scarcely happen

When they do the put a dam

In all that bad luck"

When I finished there was a large round of applause. It was nice for all of my preparations to have paid off. And the song meant a lot to me. I was happy that everyone enjoyed it. The announcer skated over to me with a microphone.

"And that was Angelica--"

"It's AJ."

"That was AJ Jones. Performing to her own original song Bad Luck."

Almost everyone clapped for me. But many people made a strange face when they heard my name. Of course this was to be expected.

"Did you really write that all on your own?"

The announcer asked, and I smiled.

"Yes."

"It's a great song."

"Thank you."

I skated off of the rink smiling.

I won that night. It felt like the greatest thing ever. It was a nice break from reality. I won and it seemed like no one was judging me about all of the other things that had happened.