23: Asahi Azumane - Doubt and Trust

Warning! I guess this is a slight angst? Only slightly... to be honest it's way more fluffy than it is angst...

- Asahi's POV -

I re-read the piece of paper Noya and Tanaka had given me, trying to memorise the words on it. My palms were sweaty and nerves filled my body as I saw her through the window of the corridor, getting a snack from the vending machine. My heart sped up a little bit, nerves trying to overtake me but Noya and Tanaka had assured me that these pick-up lines would work.

I had had a crush on (y/n) (l/n) for what felt like an age, but I always felt too nervous to even speak to her, let alone ask her to be my girlfriend. I had spoken to her occasionally as we were in the same class, but aside from that, conversations between us barely existed, but thanks to Noya and Tanaka's help I could hopefully start something between us. "(y-y/n)!" I called out to her as I exited the school, heading under the canopy towards her.

"Oh Azumane, hello," she said politely with a smile. I loved it when she smiled, it made her look even cuter. I tried desperately to recompose myself, remembering the words that were on the piece of paper in my hands. She looked confused as I hadn't said anything yet, but my mouth had gone dry. "Is everything okay?"

"W-want to g-go outside we me and get some fresh air?!" I spoke a little too quickly and her eyebrows furrowed. "B-because you jut took my breath away-,"

"But we're already outside," she said and my eyes widened, realising my own stupidity.

"E-er- w-well... y-your hand looks heavy! W-want me to hold it for you?" I breathed and her eyes widened as she held her hands together.

"Y-you... you think my hands look fat?"

"No!" I exclaimed quickly, realising how bad that line must have sounded. Internally I was panicking, thinking that Noya and Tanaka's advice wasn't working. "E-er- that's not what I meant- sorry! Erm... I-I don't know which is prettier... t-the weather or your eyes," I said nervously, having to glance down at the bit of paper in my hand for prompting.

"But... the sky is dull and grey," she said sandy and a slight squeak left my mouth.

"I-I have to go!" I said, possibly louder than I should've, running past her and back inside.

- Timeskip -

"That was painful to listen to," Daichi said as I recited to them what had happened, the team in the clubroom, getting ready for practice. "Why would you even go to Nishinoya and Tanaka for advice anyway?"

"Hey!" The two shouted, defending themselves but I just curled up on the floor, utterly embarrassed, unable to believe that I had actually done that. I thought about her confused and sad looks which made me curl in on myself even more. "Maybe you didn't execute them right?" Noya suggested but I shook my head.

"Maybe he wasn't given good advice," Suga emphasised his words. "Why don't you invite her to study with you? It'll be a calm atmosphere, you'll get to talk just the two of you plus exams are coming up."

"I-I suppose," I mumbled, wondering if she'd want to even be around me after my poor performance earlier today.

"At least try it. You'd just be being polite anyway," Daichi pointed out and I nodded, realising it was probably at least worth a try.

- The Next Day -

Lunchtime came around and I found myself staring at (y/n) who was still sat at her desk, eating her food alone. I breathed in a deep breath trying to build up some confidence, and headed over to her. "Hello (y/n)," I said as politely as I could without stuttering.