46. FRIYAY!

Kylie drove Jack's ute to hers that evening and she cried the whole way. Jack tried to convince her to pull over, but she was unable to stop and suddenly, they were parked outside her house.

She just couldn't hold back all the anxiety and fear any longer. She couldn't even get out of the ute. Jack climbed out first, walked around to the driver's side, opened the door and coaxed her out, half carrying her to the door.

Inside, she cried even harder, crumpled on the lounge.

"Hey, hey – Wombat, you're ok – I'm ok. C'mon, there's no need to be so upset, everything's ok –" Jack whispered, holding her in his arms.

"H–hold me –" Kylie wailed into his chest.

"I am, babe – I am –"

"– I c–can't f–feel it – tighter –"

Jack squeezed her tight in his arms, to the point he was sure he was hurting her, but Kylie didn't ask him to let her go. He kissed the top of her head and continued to tell her everything was ok. He had no idea that she was being triggered by more than just today's events.

Jack tried to make Kylie eat, tried to stem her flowing tears until she was fast asleep in bed, hugging him like a koala clinging to the branch of a eucalyptus gum.

At six o'clock exactly the next morning, Jack woke first, gently nudging Kylie awake. She couldn't help but scream with joy that he survived the night, because of all the things that pushed her over the edge yesterday, was worrying that Jack had a concussion and that if he fell asleep, he might not wake up.

Her happy cries of relief made him wince and exclaim she needed to calm down. But Kylie was determined to make her relief known to him. She threw her arms around his neck, almost tumbling him out of bed, to which Jack cried out, "calm your farm, Wombat!"

"Shut up, I'm just so happy – relieved that you're ok!"

"Yeah so show me you care without trying to kill me next time!" Jack laughed at her.

Hearing him laugh at her was – without a doubt – the greatest thing she'd ever heard, so she lay back down beside him and listened to his laughter before he consciously stopped and asked her what the look was for.

"Nothing ... I'm just glad you're ok! Like, really glad."

Jack smirked and rolled over, pinning Kylie beneath him and crashing his lips against hers.

"Mm ... is that so? Well trust me babe, I'm more than ok ..." Jack whispered in her ear, hovering over her. They fumbled in each other's arms for several minutes until they both knew they had to get up ... it was the last day of term after all and then they had a fortnight to fumble all they wanted.

Going off Kate's suggestion to throw a party today, Kylie and Jack let the kids do exactly that. From making sausage rolls and cupcakes in the kitchen, to racing BeeBots down the corridor; stringing paper chains along the ceiling and dancing. They played music all day long and it was over before they knew it.

As the clock struck three, most of the students dashed to the door hollering their goodbyes to Kate, Kylie and Jack. The few that held back were missed by Kylie, who was on all fours, trying to clean up a spilled jar of glitter that had gotten knocked over in an impromptu art lesson.

Kylie felt a small, excitable tap on her elbow, making her look up to see Ebony and Jayden standing before her with huge, conspicuous grins. Kez and Jodi standing in the doorway, grinning too.

"Oh hello, why are you two still here?"

"Because we have a surprise for you!"

"Me? What for?!" Kylie cried out, making Ebony and Jayden giggle.