65. Sky Full of Promise

Sunday 25th Aug 11:12 AM

Jack surprised Kylie with a drive into Adelaide in their hire car for the day. Kylie couldn't help but feel like Jack had an ulterior motive for going into the city today. The whole drive in, he never once mentioned having any plans for the day which just struck Kylie as odd, even though this wasn't exactly abnormal behaviour.

Before they had even gotten into the hire car, Kylie had stopped suddenly and just blurted out, "ok what's going on?"

"Nothing, babe. Nothing at all."

"So why does this city drive feel like ..."

"'Like' ... what?"

"I dunno ... like it's special somehow ..."

"Nope, nothing special about it ... which in a way, makes it special, I suppose."

"What?"

Jack pulled her into him, locking his arms around her waist where they stood on the veranda. He found Kylie's suspiciousness adorable to say the least. He definitely had something planned and deciding that morning to spend the day in the city was the most fail–safe way he could think of to keep himself calm and ensure Kylie didn't get wind of what he had planned.

"It's the little things, the ordinary things that make up all the special things, don't you reckon?" Jack asked her, running his fingers through Kylie's hair and making her eyelids flutter.

"Hmm ... but you're up to something ..." Kylie hummed happily, letting his cologne wash over her.

"And I promise," Jack cupped her chin to tilt her face upwards so he could kiss her, "that even for me, it'll be unforgettable."

When their lips parted, Kylie gasped softly in surprise.

Oh my god ...!

3:47 PM

They walked into a high end fashion store hand–in–hand, still talking about the adventures they had as kids and rapidly closing the gap on what they didn't know about each other.

Kylie's eyes barely scanned the store when they locked onto a beautiful black dress with lace sleeves and illusion neckline. She weaved her way towards it, leaving Jack by the entrance watching her.

"Are you being helped, sir?" a saleswoman asked Jack, dragging his attention away from Kylie in a heartbeat.

"Huh – oh, no ... well, not yet –"

"– anything I can help you with or are you happy browsing?"

"Well ... actually ..." Jack scratched his stubble, looking back across the store at Kylie to see she was being attended to by another saleswoman and took that as his cue.

"See that woman over there?" Jack muttered to the saleswoman next to him. She looked into the store, following Jack's pointed finger as he muttered, "with the red hair?"

"Is it possible to get a suit to match that dress she's looking at?"

The saleswoman beamed, taking that as her cue.

An hour later and they were stood at the register. Jack, digging out his wallet and Kylie searching for her purse in her handbag.

"Babe, what're you doing? I'll get these –" Jack said, seeing Kylie unclasping her purse.

"– what? No, Jack – you've already paid for the flights and the suite –"

"– exactly, this is my treat –"

"– what – no, Jack – c'mon, at least let me buy something! You've spent thousands already!"

"And I'll spend another thousand if you'll let me –" Jack whispered to her, smirking. Kylie tilted her head to the side looking at him with disbelief.