30. The Morning After ...

Kylie sat outside her room at the vineyard, where the reception had been held the night before. She was wearing navy blue jeggings, a white linen t–shirt and Ugg boots. It was rather cool outside, hence the Ugg boots and steaming mug of hot chocolate in her hands she had brewed in her room.

As she sat sipping her drink and gazing out at the placid, manicured grounds before her, Kylie heard a stampede approaching her. It was none other than Loz, Ali and Sophie, all of them looking wild and excited.

"Tell us –" Ali demanded shamelessly loudly, pointing at the closed door behind her, "that that god is out cold and spent in your bed in there!"

Ali, like Loz and Sophie, were well beyond asking, especially after the way the reception ended last night. They demanded the right to explicit, shameless and deliciously wicked details without a moment's hesitation. So when Kylie conspicuously sipped her hot chocolate in silence, it was all they could do to not throttle Kylie.

"No. No, he isn't." Kylie admitted in a flat tone.

Ali groaned as if Kylie had physically wounded her, turning on her heel, throwing her arms up in frustration. Loz, meanwhile, turned to Ali and Sophie with an outstretched hand.

"What'd I tell you? C'mon, pay up ladies!"

Kylie watched Ali and Sophie reluctantly part with a twenty dollar note each to a cackling Loz who stashed the money in her bra.

"Thanking you –"

"– hang on a minute! Did you seriously bet on me getting laid last night?" Kylie cried out, equally amused and mortified by her best friends' candidness.

Loz rolled her eyes at Kylie, squatting down beside her and patting Kylie's forearm.

"Mate, what did you expect? You have been in denial about this bloke for so long – and then – and mate, I cannot tell you how fucking proud I am of you – that last night, not only did you dance with the man, but you let him kiss you! I mean, babe – we all know you, yeah you've been hurt and screwed over in the worst possible way, but last night you almost let it all go! You kissed Jack and don't even try to deny it – it scared the hell outta you – that's why you didn't go through with it, isn't it?"

Loz spun on her toes and straightened up slowly, adding to Ali and Soph, "besides, I saw him leave last night."

"You cheat!" Ali and Sophie howled, their jaws dropping hard and pestering Loz to return their money.

Kylie bowed her head, smirking softly until Sophie knelt down in front of her, pouting.

"No! Don't look at me like that, Soph!" Kylie giggled, feeling her cheeks burn as she looked away. Ali squatted beside her, pouting too.

"Cut it out!" Kylie cried, turning away from Ali and met by Loz staring at her doe–eyed.

Loz pointed to her face and said to Kylie, "you're not getting outta this – Ry can't say no to me when I do this and neither will you –"

"Quit it, Loz!"

"Aw, pwease Kywee!" Ali simpered, pawing at Kylie's arm.

"Yeah, c'mon Kylz – tell us what happened!" Sophie begged her.

"There's nothing to tell!"

"Oh yeah, sure mate. You two were frigging tongue–locked for ages! What'd you cockblock him for?"

"Uh! Since when is this my fault?" Kylie gasped at them all, seeing them exchange bored, sarcastic glances.

"Please, Kylie!" Sophie moaned emphatically.