𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 ➪ 𝘽𝙚𝙩

May 6, 1969

We spent the next few weeks praying that it would be as easy to get pregnant this time as it had been last time. Last time we didn't even want it to happen. Surely, this time we'd have some luck, right?

Paul had hired the workers he had told me he would up in Scotland. They were working to repair all the stuff that was wrong with the house and put in some new appliances for us. So, really, they were doing all the fancy crap that we couldn't do.

On and off for the past few weeks, I had been having some back pain. It was quite out-of-the-ordinary, but I didn't let my hopes get up too much because I was so scared to be let down.

Even so, I counted the days again just to be sure. I was three days late. I hadn't even told Paul when I'd missed it the first day. I was almost expecting it to come anyways. Now, however, I was staring at a calendar, it had been three days, and nothing had happened. What did this mean?

I wasn't stupid, of course.

"Mary's finally asleep." I heard Paul come into the room behind me and I turned around. He saw where I was standing and immediately came over to see what I was doing.

"Whatcha up to?" he asked me, putting his hands on my shoulders and smiling at me pleasantly.

"My back hurts," I said gloomily, turning around and burying my head in his chest.

"Again?" he asked, placing his hands right where it hurt. He knew how to make me feel better. Always.

"I'm three days late," I told him.

He pulled away and looked me in the eyes. "You are?" he asked, looking giddy with excitement.

My lips formed a small smile and I nodded. "Yeah."

"Holy fuck, do you think that means—?"

"I don't know," I told him before he could finish. "I don't wanna get my hopes up yet."

He nodded. "Well, we should call and set up an appointment to find out."

"Maybe it won't take as long to find out this time." I leaned my head back against his chest, closing my eyes. "But it really hurts, so I hope that's what it means."

Paul wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. "I think you need a bath," he said. "How about I run you one?"

I shook my head. "Shower. I wanna lay down and go to bed soon."

"I can settle for that." I pulled away to smile at him, and saw him smirking back at me.

May 7, 1969

"We we have an opening at noon tomorrow," the lady on the phone told me. "Would that work well with you?" It had been quite a long conversation. Much longer than I would have liked. Paul was upstairs getting Mary ready since we were going out to lunch with John and Yoko today. I hadn't seen either of them since the rooftop concert. I got along with Yoko as much as I needed to, but there was something about her that I didn't really like. Quite frankly, she seemed too attached to John sometimes.

"Yes," I answered. "That would work just fine."

"Perfect," the woman responded. We finished up the last details. I wrote them all down on a notepad in front of me as we finally said goodbye and hung up.

"Everything go alright?" I turned around and saw Paul standing in the doorway with Mary on his hip. Mary was dressed in a pink sundress, a little ribbon tied around the middle and a bow on the back. Paul had taken a little section of her hair at the top and tied it up so it stood up on its own. She had Holly clutched in her hands.