𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙁𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙏𝙬𝙤 ➪ 𝘽𝙖𝙙 𝘿𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙢

December 1, 1969
33 weeks

It had been a good week with our family around. They'd left on the 26th, and now it was the beginning of December—our twins' birth month, and in other words, a crazy month!

We were heading back to London on the fourteenth. Paul had hugged me for the longest time, saying we should have gone back sooner, but I assured him that it would be alright. I would still be 34 weeks. Everything would be fine!

What time I spent out of bed was spent cleaning the house from top to bottom. I washed clothes, changed sheets, decluttered, swept, mopped, and the like. I did everything I could think of. Paul constantly got onto me for it, telling me that I probably needed to be taking it easy at this point, but as long as my body wasn't aching, I was going to be on my feet and keeping myself busy.

Even though we had a full damn nursery here and in London, I still felt like we needed more. I wasn't entirely sure why. Clearly, we were ready. I felt like we needed to plan everything out even though I knew planning the arrival of one baby was impossible, let alone two.

Thisbe the cat was waiting on me to finish up with her food. She was perched on the counter, watching me intently as if she didn't want me to mess anything up. I'd done this about a million times since we'd gotten her, so I thought I was doing quite good. I finally finished with her bowl and scooted it in front of her. She immediately laid down on the counter and began to eat. Then, I prepared the dogs' bowls and brought them into the living room, situating an excited Martha on one side of the room and Eddie on the other. Then, I made my way to the back door where I could see Paul and Mary struggling to round up the chickens for the night. We'd just finished eating dinner a little while ago and I'd sent them outside while I cleaned up. We had no clue what kind of animals ran around here at night, so locking the chickens up was one of their nightly jobs and quite frankly, they both enjoyed it very much, I thought.

I put my hands to my belly as I watched them round up the chickens. The goats had already made themselves comfortable in Mary's barn/playhouse contraption for the night.

They finally got the chickens into the coup and Paul turned to Mary and gave her a high five before scooping her up into his arms and turning to spot me in the doorway.

"Mummy!" Mary said when she saw me and Paul sped up, running towards me while Mary giggled in his arms. When they made it to the door, I reached forward to take Mary away from Paul and she gladly left him behind, causing Paul to scowl jokingly.

"What was that for?" he asked her. "Don't you love me?" he asked her with a sarcastic pouting face.

She giggled. "Yeah, I love you, Daddy, but I love Mummy too!"

I leaned over to kiss her on the cheek. "As you should since I'm the one that brought you into this world, right?"

Mary nodded and put her hand on my belly. "And now the twins too," she said.

"Hey, without me you wouldn't have been able to do that!" Paul said defensively.

"Oh, quit your whining, Paulie, dear. Let's go inside, alright? It's bloody cold out here."

"Oh, alright," he grumbled. I watched Mary in my arms as she yawned and rested her head on my shoulder. "Tired?" I asked her.

She shook her head. "No," she said. I smiled and leaned my head over to kiss her on the head. I sat down on the couch and she got comfortable on my lap. "Mummy?" she said quietly as I helped her out of her jacket and Paul draped a blanket over her.

"Yes?" I asked, enjoying the feeling of having her cuddled up to me.

"When are the babies gonna be here? You said December."