𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣 ➪ 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙒𝙖𝙮 𝙄 𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙉𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙔𝙤𝙪

May 19, 1969
6 weeks

"Well, Mrs. McCartney, you'll be happy to know that everything sounds alright," my doctor said as she entered the room I was in again. She had ordered an ultrasound, just to check up on everything and make sure that it was okay. We had even heard the heartbeat for the first time! She told us that it was even still early to be hearing the heart, so that made me feel even more content with my pregnancy now. I wasn't as worried as I had been last week.

I let out a breath of relief. "That's great to hear," I said with a smile.

"Since your hCG levels are a lot better now, your next appointment won't be until sometime next month," she said, and Paul got closer to me. "So, we can set a date for that, and then you'll be ready to go."

Mary wasn't at this appointment. Ringo and Maureen had offered to watch her for us for a few hours, giving us time to go out before we went to get her again. They had insisted that we needed some time to talk about everything alone after we had told the rest of the band of our pregnancy a few days ago. They were right, of course. We did need time to talk about everything. The only alone time we ever got was after Mary went to bed, and we were more often than not too tired to talk about anything serious after that. Who wants to talk about serious stuff after 8 PM? Not us, that's for sure.

"Okay, I do have one more question," I said to her and she gave me a look that told me she was listening. "Well, we were thinking about going on vacation in a few days," I said. "But, we wanted to be sure that that would be okay before we did."

She smiled. "Well, how long were we thinking?" she asked.

"When is the next appointment?" Paul asked her.

The doctor turned to her notepad and studied a list of dates on there. "We have an opening on the 20th of next month," she said. "Would that work?"

"Yes, it will. We'll come home on the nineteenth. The day after my birthday." Paul smiled at me.

I smiled and nodded at the doctor. "So, would that be alright?" I asked her.

She nodded. "I don't see why not," she said, standing up and gathering her things and handing me a few papers. "I hope you guys have a nice time. I'll see you on the twentieth." She opened the door and Paul stood up, reaching his hand over to help me to my feet as well.

"Thank you," I responded as we left the room.

As we were leaving the building, I turned to Paul. "A whole month in Greece?" I asked him with a wide grin.

"Just to see you smile," he quipped, putting his arm around my waist and raising his wrist up in front of his face so that he could look at his watch. "Now, we've got about two hours until Ringo is bringing our lovely offspring back home. What do you suggest we do until then? I know you want to have a serious discussion, but how do you suggest we go about this?"

I shrugged. "I suck at serious discussions."

"Me too," he answered. "But, we've got to have this one. You know that."

"You know, I could really go for some fish and chips right now," I told him. "Let's get some and bring it home. How about that?" Paul opened the car door so I could get in as I peered up at him imploringly.

He nodded. "Yeah, that's fine," he said with a soft smile. He closed the door and I watched as he went around the car to climb into the driver's seat. "Where would you like to get fish and chips?" he asked.

"I dunno," I replied. "Anywhere is fine."

The car turned on and we were met with a Beatles song on the radio. One of Paul's called "Lady Madonna." I beamed and turned the sound up. I remembered when he had been writing the tune. It was upbeat and happy, and I'd always enjoyed it.