Chapter 2

SHIELA'S POV
Hadeleines Academy

Today is Monday and right now I am in the campus of Hadeleines Academy. I started studying here since I was in Grade 7, up to now. Matagal nang gusto ni Mom na lumipat na ako ng school pero hindi ako pumayag, ayokong iwan ang lugar na ito dahil para ko na rin itong pangalawang tahanan at narito rin ang aking mga kaibigan.

I went downstairs and I can now smell our breakfast. It smells so good!

I went on Mom to greet and kiss her. “Good morning, Mom! Sa tingin ko po, masarap na naman ang almusal natin ngayon, ang bango po kasi. Ano pong niluto mo?”

“Good morning too, Shie! Hmm, I cooked your favorite adobong baboy and also chopsuey for our breakfast today. Tara! Kain na tayo?”

“Sige po. I love adobo so much, you really know my favorite! Thanks, Mom!”

I really admire how Mom cooks food for us because it always melts my heart and it actually makes me more proud of her. Sana balang araw maging katulad ako ni Mom pagdating sa pagluluto. Grabe! Sana ganito rin ako kasarap magluto balang araw.

Pagkatapos naming kumain ng almusal ay agad na akong umakyat sa kwarto ko para makapag bihis na rin ako ng uniform ko at makapag handa na rin ako ng mga gamit ko.

It's already 6:30 am now. I have to be on the academy by 7:00. I just put on some powder and also a lip balm because unlike others, I'm not the type of girl that always puts on some makeup on my face. I'm fine with just my powder and lip balm. Yes, I know I'm old enough to do things like putting makeup too, but, I always keep in mind that I also have my limitations. Every single thing that we have in this world is just limited.

By the way, I am entitled as the Academy's Princess because they've seen me as a natural beauty from this school and then the principal literally announced and awarded me that title too, because according to the principal, she believes that a true beauty is from the inside not from the outside and also beauty naturally comes around noticeably. At dahil nga sa title kong ‘yon, mas lalo akong nakilala sa school na ito at idagdag mo pa na nagkaroon ako bigla ng mga haters dahil ika nga nila ay masyado raw akong papansin at pabida.

“Good morning, Mrs. Lacsam! Enjoy teaching us,”  the whole class delightfully greeted her.

“Good morning also to all of you. So, it's now time for our English class today. Mag recap or review muna tayo.

By that time, we all know that she wants any of us to answer. I immediately raised my hand to answer her.

“Last time, we've discussed about the different types of speech.”

“Very good, Shiela! Thank you!” Agad na rin akong umupo kasabay ng pag ngiti nito sa akin. Angel, tungkol saan naman ang naging lesson nating ‘yon? Kindly explain it to us,” dagdag pa nito upang pasagutin din naman ang kaklase ko.

“There are four different types of speech. They are manuscript, memorized, extemporaneous and impromptu speech,” Angel answered.

“Very good! Based on your own understanding, what is a manuscript speech? Anyone?” Mrs. Lacsam asked.

Before she could call for someone to answer, Loveraine immediately raised her hand and answered, “A manuscript speech is a well crafted speech that is usually in a printed type or style.”

“Good job! So, when do we usually use manuscript speech, Heidi?”

“It is commonly used when people testify before Congress, President's speech, when people read important statements in a public setting or when people deliver reports for personal meetings.”

“Very good! The second type of speech is called memorized. What is the meaning of it and when do we use memorized speech, anyone?” Mrs. Lacsam asked us again.

“Memorizing a speech is more difficult than memorizing a poem because it is much more riskier and there is a chance to forget a group of words and sentences.”

“Very good, Calvin! The third one is extemporaneous. What and when can it be used, Roel?”

“Extemporaneous speech is the type of speech used most in business, education, preaching and political affairs. It is a speech where you will have time for preparation and practice but will not be expected to read from a manuscript or to have it memorized.

“Okay. And for the last one is impromptu. I will no longer call any of you to answer but I'd rather discuss it with you by myself...” Agad naman kaming tumango pagkatapos nito at nakinig na lamang sa susunod nyang sasabihin. An impromptu speech is a speech that is said without further preparation. It is the most common type of public speaking. You haven't prepared any notes, you haven't practiced what you'll say, and you're being asked to wing it. One of the example is that you are in class and suddenly the professor wants to hear how the group project are going. You, as the leader of your group, are asked to stand and briefly discuss what the group is doing and how much you have completed so far. That's an impromptu speech. Again, no prior planning, no notes, you just do it. That's impromptu speaking,” Mrs. Lacsam briefly explained and added.

“So, that all for today. Good job to all of you, class! Thank you so much for your participation today. See you tomorrow!”

“Thank you so much, Ma'am. Goodbye!”

After almost 3 hours, our class ended well. I have learned so many things and I'm glad that I've participated in every subjects that we've had today.

One of my favorite subject is English. Not that I am being too proud or arrogant of myself, but, I can actually speak English fluently, write speeches, poems, stories and songs too. I am also the top notcher on our English class. And of course, I am the cobbler and they always expect on me every time we have activities or projects in our class in English. Masaya ako at mayroon na naman akong bagong natutunan ngayong araw. Hay! I really enjoy studying!

Lord, salamat po ulit! Salamat po sa pag gabay at pag iingat mo po sa akin at sa buong pamilya ko. Salamat po!