Deafening silence

I personally love the plot of this chapter as I am partially deaf myself. So this chapter means a lot.

People assume that being deaf means peace and quiet. But for me personally, it's too quiet. And I have nothing to drown out my thoughts, it can be rather overwhelming.

Requests are welcome x
Hope you enjoy :)

***

"Why'd it have to be a Thuderdrum?!" Hiccup complained, to no one in particular.

He'd decided to go for a walk alone in the forests of Berk. He had done this at least once a week since the death of his father, just to get a break from the responsibilities of adulthood. The burdens of chiefdom. The one time he forgets to take dragon blade, he runs into a wild Thunderdrum.

Hiccup of course had attempted to train her, but she must have had other plans. The dragon's roar echoed through the woods.

Hiccup ran back to the village as fast as his scrawny little legs could manage, well leg.

"Astrid?!" He called out as he burst into his hut.

"Hiccup?" She jumped up at the sheer volume of his voice and rushed towards him. "Are you okay? What happened?"

He stared at her lips intently as they moved, trying to understand what she was saying.

"What?!" He shouted.

"Hiccup? Are you okay?" She repeated, getting rather worried.

"Astrid, I can't hear a thing!"

"Wait, what?!"

Hiccup looked at her with confusion. Astrid rolled her eyes and then twirled her fingers around, signally him to continue his explanation.

"Wild Thunderdrum! In the woods! Where's Toothless?!" He yelled, looking around frantically.

Astrid folded her arms and shook her head. There was no way he was going after a wild dragon without one of his senses. Sure, she had trained the triple stryke without her sight, but that was different. It was her, not him. Astrid was much more coordinated without her sight than Hiccup was with all five senses in tact. She grabbed his arm and pulled him into the house.

After ordering the riders to relocate the wild Thunderdrum, Astrid returned to her boyfriend.

"Hiccup. We need to get you to Gothi." Astrid explained.

Hiccup didn't even notice her come in. Astrid sighed. She tapped him lightly on the shoulder, causing him to jump out of his skin.

"GAH! Astrid! Don't sneak up on me like that!"

She winced at the volume of his voice.

"Sorry." He finally spoke at an appropriate level. Astrid pointed towards Gothi's hut. He nodded his head in agreement.

After returning from Gothi's hut, Hiccup was frustrated beyond belief. She said she would be able to cure his sudden deafness, but only after obtaining a rare flower, indigenous to Sherwood Cay. Hiccup began pacing across his hut while Astrid made every attempt to calm him down.

"This is useless. I should never have gone out without Toothless. What if I stay like this? What if Gothi can't fix it? How am I supposed to be chief if I can't hear a word people are saying?!"

"Hiccup..." she gently placed a hand on his shoulder. He shook it off, gesturing his hands wildly.

"Astrid, just forget it!!!"

With that he stormed into their bedroom, leaving Astrid upset. A tear rolled down her cheek. She hated it when Hiccup yelled at her. She quickly wiped it away.

He hadn't meant to yell at her. He couldn't hear, he had a right to be upset. She told herself.

Hiccup paced around the room for a few minutes before sitting on the floor beside his bed. He tucked his knees up to his chest and rested his head in his lap, desperately trying to shake off the thoughts in his head.

He had begun to enjoy the hustle and bustle of chiefly duties as he never got the chance to slow down, even for a minute. Now, for many this would be a rather stressful thing. But for Hiccup, it was a nice distraction from his grieving.

But now, all he could hear were the thoughts racing through his head. The memories of that day, haunting him. The sound of his father's voice, playing over and over in his head.

He let out a loud scream, hoping it would be loud enough to drown out the memory of his father's voice. But alas, nothing.

Astrid burst into the room to see Hiccup curled up tight, shaking and hyperventilating. She panicked. Usually the one thing that soothed him the most was her voice. But, there was no chance of that now.

She placed a gently hand on his shoulder. He flinched away before looking up and realizing who it was. Astrid smiled at him. It was a forced smile, but a smile nonetheless. He even smiled back. She got up from the floor and grabbed a notebook from his desk. He watched as she wrote something on the page.

She walked back over to Hiccup and straddled his hips before showing him what she had written.

Imagine my voice.
Shhh, it's okay. Just breathe. You're gonna be fine. I'm here.

He shook his head. It wasn't working. She started to twirl his hair in her fingers before cupping his cheek in her hand. He looked up at her, Forest met Ocean as their eyes locked onto one another. She smiled and nodded in reassurance, as she wiped a tear from his cheek with her thumb. He slowly nodded and after a few moments his breathing had calmed down. Astrid held him tightly in her grasp as his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Astrid..." She pulled out of the hug and looked at him, letting him know that she heard. "...my head hurts."

She smiled and rolled her eyes before planting a gentle kiss on his forehead. She got up off the floor and offered him a hand up. He looked at her confused but took it anyway.

She pushed him onto the bed and removed his prosthetic.

"Astrid, what.." She placed a finger over his lips to shush him, shaking her head, before removing her boots and armor. She crawled into the bed beside him and wrapped an arm around him. Partially to keep him there, but mostly to comfort herself.

She grabbed the notebook and scribbled on the page.

Nap time!
I love you, Hiccup Haddock! X

He read as she turned the book over. He gently cupped her cheek and kissed her softly.

"I love you too."

***

So, I'm not continuing this chapter, so just to clarify. Gothi gets the ingredients she needs and she fixes him but until then Valka and Gobber take over chiefly duties and Astrid continues using the notebook to communicate with him. The riders successfully relocated the Thunderdrum, after three failed attempts because Snotlout didn't listen. So yeah! The end!!!