Chapter 19~ The Oath

The Oath

"We make it work. What matters most is the patients, right?"
_____________________

⚠️Warning: 🔞

"Good morning, Dr. Hunter. Let us begin."

Harper banged a gravel to open the ethics committee hearing.

As the panel of seven senior physicians got settled, Declan Nash leaned forward from the front row, taunting Blue under his breath. "You're finished, Hunter. And once you're booted out of your residency, I'll make sure the state board revokes your license." he said. "I'll answer to my colleagues, not you." Blue gritted through her teeth. "Fun fact, your colleagues are my colleagues too. I'd even call us friends. Dr. Cyrus and Dr. Wen just had dinner at my penthouse last night. And boy, did we ever talk about you..." Declan replied snarkily.

Blue's confidence wavered as he leaned back. She looked for her friends amidst the large crowd of hospital staff in the lecture hall seats.. They gave her thumbs-up from their spots near the front...and in the back row, Ethan sat alone. He gave her a near-imperceptible nod, and Blue was taken back to the memory of his good luck kiss to her, right before they entered the hall. Her anxiousness lessened a bit as she subtly nodded back to him before averting his eyes back to the seven senior physicians who would decide her fate.

"You look very professional today, Dr. Hunter. I see you're taking this as seriously as we are." Dr. Lozoya first commented. "Thank you, Dr. Lozoya. I do take this very seriously." Blue replied. "You damn well better. A patient is dead. Teresa Martinez. By your own admission, you stole a sample of a drug and administered without the hospital's approval." Dr. Cyrus said.

"I had Mrs. Martinez's approval, and she understood the risks." Blue defended. "Before we vote on whether to rescind your privelleges and terminate your residency, you have the opportunity to defend your actions." Dr. Tanaka said, giving her an encouraging nod. "Now, Dr. Hunter, I understand you brought witnesses to testify on your behalf, including former patients." Harper said, giving her permission.

First up, Shonda, the lawer who taught Blue how to delegate came up. "How cute. You have your own little justice system." Shonda remarked, coming up. "Mrs. Turner, how would you describe Dr. Hunter, performance regarding your case?" Dr. Cyrus asked. "When she was reviving me? I can't. I was unconscious." Shonda replied, chuckling a little.

"The nursing staff reported at the time that Dr. Hunter was unsure and unprepared to take proper action--" "At first, I just gave her a little heart-to-heart, and that's all it took. Dr. Hunter's the reason why I'm still breathing." Shonda cut him off, giving Blue a grateful smile, before glaring at Dr. Cyrus as she said, "If anything, it made me think that you lot aren't doing a good job at the 'teaching' part of being a teaching hospital. Fortunately I'm very good at suing for--" "That won't be neccessary, Mrs. Turner. Thank you for your time." Harper cut her off quickly. Shonda gave Blue a wink, before she walked off.

Next up, Remy the surfer came up. "Hang on, Remy, you're telling us Dr. Hunter wasted precious time and resources on gentic tests, when you were here for a respiratory infection?" Dr. Wen reading from her testifiers' notes. "Yeah, but she was right. I'm gonna develop distal muscular dystrophy one day." Remy replied. "I see. That news must have been devastating, especially since you didn't want the test. It sounds to me like Dr. Hunter ruined your life." Dr. Cyrus said, exaggerating and Blue could see Ethan getting visibly annoyed from where he was sitting.

"Nah, bro you don't get it. Dr. Hunter saved me. All the moments I would've wasted...I know what they mean now. I made them count. Besides, she is so sweet, she still has the ukelele i gave to her as a gift, and she has even kept in touch with me to let me know about the Challenged Athletes Foundation in New York where I've been volunteering lately to help out physically challenged surfers. I'm making my every wave count thanks to her. No other doctor would go this far for a patient." Remy sang her praises, making Harper look at Blue, impressed. Even Ethan had a proud smile on his face.