Chapter 3~ Hanging in the Balance

Hanging in the Balance

"Something to say, Dr. Hunter?"
_____________________

Blue stepped out the subway, stretching her back which was sore from her sleepless night due to her pounding headache, which was subsided by Ethan, deciding to make an appearance again. She consistently rubbed her temples while making her way to the main door of Edenbrook. What Blue once again did not know, was that Ethan was staring at her from the window of his office.

Now, Ethan was not a creep nor did he meant to be creepy, but he enjoyed people watching, if that was even the name for that hobby of his. He found it to help his observation skills, one of the most critical aspects of being a world class diagnostician. His brows furrowed as he watched her rub her temples in obvious pain. I better remind her to get that checked out. It is unhealthy for someone to have this much of consistent headaches. Ethan thought.

Blue walked around the building to the staff entrance, and across the lot, a group of surgeons were playing basketball before their shift. One of them was none other than a shirtless Bryce Lahela. Bryce caught the ball one of his teammates threw at him, and dribbled confidently towards the hoop. He span around a defender and leaped, dunking the ball, and his teammates rushed towards him for hi-fives. The ball rolled away after the dunk, skittering to Blue's feet.

Blue used her feet to kick up the ball to her chest, and caught it with ease. She was quite the athlete since young and she had her fair share of captaincy for various sports through her school years. "Well, come on then, Hunter. You gonna play, or you gonna send that back over?" Bryce asked, his lips turning into a wide grin as he saw the doctor that he had taken quite an attraction to on his first day. He took the moment to scan her appearance, her chocolate-caramel locks hung freely, but neatly. She was wearing a simple white blouse and dark blue jeans, with a single silver chain hanging lose on her neck. Her look was simple, but nonetheless beautiful.

"Hunter from waaaaay downtown!" Blue smirked as she squared her feet. Before Bryce could react, she jumped and shot the basketball over his head. "KOBE!" she exclaimed as the ball swished through the hoop for a perfect three-pointer. "Whaaaaaat? How the--" Bryce stuttered. "Ohhhhhh! You just got put on a poster! By a medical intern!" another surgical intern teased Bryce, the rest of them knelt over laughing. Bryce shook his head in disbelief. "Go get your ball, Lahela." Blue said smugly. Ethan who was watching the whole time, had a amused and impressed smile on his face. The Rookie just kept surprising him and it was barely the second day.

"Lucky shot. I'll be ready next time." Bryce said as he approached Blue. "And besides it's quite hot to see you so competitive to be honest." he flirted as Blue rolled her eyes. "Sure sure continue your game Bryce." she said with a small smile before making her way into the hospital. Bryce stared at her retreating form, her hair swaying past her waist as she walked with confidence, almost like a model. Bryce heard someone whistle behind him as the other surgical interns started teasing. "Ohhh did Lahela get his ass handed back to him by his little crush?" "Shut up. I don't have a crush. She's just so...so hot." Bryce mumbled still staring at her. Ethan who was still watching rolled his eyes at how Bryce was staring at his Rookie. He stood up, adjusting his tie and sighed. Why do I even give a damn about this. He thought, exiting his office to make his way down to the lobby.

》》》

Blue was getting ready for work with Jackie, when Sienna entered the locker room with a box under her arm. "Happy Tuesday! I baked cookies!" she greeted. "First, way too loud for 6am. Second, how did you find time to bake these?" Jackie asked. "My boyfriend snores like  lawnmower, so I just baked and searched for apartments online. The sugar really helps combat sleep deprivation!" Sienna replied. "So no morning-after regrets about us drunkenly agreeing to all live together?" Blue asked. "Are you kidding? The salsa club under my apartment raged until 4am." Jackie said with an annoyed expression.