8

“Dad!” Jennie shouted. She looked around and saw no one.

   She only heard the distant screams of women and the war cries.

   The trees were on fire and so were the buildings. The christmas lights and decorations were falling down, breaking when they hit the floor or burning the wood where they fell on.

   Hot tears fell from Jennie’s eyes. She turned in every direction possible seeing nothing but the flames.

   “DAD!” Jennie shouted once again. Jennie observed the streets, trying to figure out where she was.

   But because of the flames the only thing she could figure out, was that she was near the palace grounds.

   Shakingly Jennie turned around towards the end of the alley and ran towards there. Passing through the burning buildings.

   When she got out of the alley she saw the kingdom well. She looked around and saw many buildings and trees collapsing due to fire.

   In the well center were many soldiers fighting and so were some guards.

   “DAD!” Jennie heard a girl around her age shout. She looked here and there and saw a young girl dressed in a dark blue dress.

   The first thought that came to Jennie was to protect. Jennie bent down and grabbed the sword which was discarded by a soldier.

   With all the strength she had she held it up and ran towards the girl, standing in front of her. She turned around and looked at the long haired girl.

   “Who-who ar-are yu-you?” Jennie said out loud, trying to regain her breath.

   The girl was about to see something when Jennie was yanked back and turned to face a person.

   “Pretty girl.” The soldier in front of her said. “Let’s fix you.” The soldier smirked under his mask.

   “DAD!” Jennie shouted as she felt a cold blade press against the left corner of her lips.

   Jennie tried to get out of the soldiers grip and the girl behind was too scared to even act.

   The soldier pushed the blade even more in, making Jennie scream and her skin burn from the sensation. The soldier turned the blade upwards so it cut through her cheek.

   After a bit when he was satisfied he let Jennie go. She fell down to the floor, coughing as blood poured out of her cheek and lips.

   The girl bent down and quickly held onto Jennie. She pulled Jennie up and started to drag Jennie somewhere.

   The woods…

   Jennie woke up from her dream when she heard the clanking of steel. She looked up and saw someone opening the steel bar door of the cage she was locked in.

   The person seemed to be a man, he was covered in all black leaving none of his body left uncovered.

   The only thing Jennie could see were the faint blue eyes looking down at the lock as he tried to open it.

   The door opened as the man stepped forward as he stretched out his left hand into the lifted cage so Jennie could hold it.

   Hesitantly Jennie moved forward from her space and held onto the man’s clothed hand.

   “Don’t worry…” Jennie heard the man speak in a sweet dry voice.

   Jennie hummed as she felt herself being pulled out of the cage. She got down to the ground with the help of the man.

   “Do you need help?” The man asked, watching Jennie as she painfully stood on her wobbly feet, holding tightly onto the man’s hand for support.

   Jennie hummed, nodding her head as she let go off of the man’s hand. The man lent down, his left arm going behind Jennie’s knees and the right going to her back.

   He pushed his left hand forward making Jennie’s feet lift up from the ground and her back fall on the man’s right hand.

   The man easily sat up with Jennie in his arms. “Do you eat much?” The man questioned.

   “Not really…” Jennie replied as she looked around her as the man started to walk.

   The cage was placed on a wooden cart which was connected to two brown old horses.

   The cart was going through a road which was cut through the jungle. The man was walking inside the woods.

   Jennie wrapped her arms around the man’s neck as she closed her eyes and drifted away to sleep.