10

“Why are you going to Sandy’s anyway?” The man asked as he ducked under a tree branch, Jennie doing the same as she came closer to the branch.

   “Just an old friend...” Jennie replied.

   “So for no reason, you come out here after a war in these parts and after the announcement of the vampire being spotted.” The man said as he swung his scythe to cut out the thin tree branches in their way.

   “What vampire?” Jennie asked the man. The man stopped in his tracks and turned around to look at Jennie.

   “Lisa or whatever her name is.” The name casually replied.

   Jennie mumbled something under her breath. She started walking and passed by the man, taking a deep breath.

   “Who are you?” The man asked as he started to catch up with Jennie.

   “Someone who can kill you if you take me somewhere other tha-” Jennie stopped in her tracks as she came face to face with an odd looking house.

   She then felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around and saw them standing there with his hand on her slim shoulder as he looked at the house.

   “That means we are halfway to Sandy’s house.” The man announced before he left Jennie and started walking ahead.

   Jennie ran to catch up with him.

   “Who’s house is that?” Jennie asked.

   “A girl once came here.” The man said. He looked to the left before he looked ahead.

   “It was way before anyone here was born, it’s mostly told as a myth.” The man added.

   “What happened then?” Jennie asked.

   “It’s said to be where the girl was murdered.” Jennie turned to the house as if left behind. She looked back in front and skipped up to catch up with the older man.

   “I heard she was near your age when she came here.” The man said. “She came here, built that house and lived there before the apocalypse came.”

   “What apocalypse?” Jennie questioned.

   “Myth has it that in those times, the devil’s work wasn’t going well. Him and his kids came down to earth to kill whoever was unholy or whatever.” The man replied.

   “The girl was a victim of them, killed by the King of Devil's himself, probably died in the cruelest way possible.” The man said as he swung his scythe to cut the bushes in their way. He continued, “By the time I was here, in my teens.”

   The man stopped and looked here and there before he turned to the left and started to walk again, Jennie following behind him.

   “Anyways, by then I knew this story and all. One day as usual I was going to the lake near the house. I had been there since I was what? Ten.” The man said before stopping to take a deep breath. “I was going to the lake for water. When I saw a girl in her twenties come out of the house wearing a big cap.”

   “Who was it?” Jennie asked.

   “No one knows for sure.” The man replied. “I ran out of there, forgetting the buckets. Nearby families of course moved out, me myself I never went near the house.”

   “How did she look?” Jennie asked.

   “I don’t really remember, kid.” The man answered. He stopped once again as he looked around. He turned around to Jennie who was looking at him confused. “We could either settle down here and make it to Sandy’s house in the morning or we can continue through the night and make it to her house.”

   ‘It’s dangerous, but I have to get there now.’ Jennie thought to herself. ‘It’ll take them a while anyways…’ Jennie looked down to her feet before she looked up at the man. “Let’s settle down here.”

   “I was hoping you would say no.” The man said as he sat down and flung her bag off of his shoulder.

   Jennie sat down too on the grass as the man took out some wood and a pair of stones from his backpack.

   He placed down the small wood pieces in a way that it made a small pyramid.

   “Why?” Jennie asked as she scooted a bit nearer to the campfire. The man started to rub the rocks together, making a tiny spark.

   He brought the rocks closer to the wooden pyramid. After a bit of the rocks rubbing the wood was set on fire.

   The man threw the rocks to the side as he took a piece of the wood from the pyramid and put it on top of where the tiny fire was burning.

   “Because I thought you might not want to be out in the wilderness.” The man answered. He sat back as the fire got bigger and bigger.

   He brought his hands further to the fire and rubbed them together, Jennie doing the same thing because of the cold.

   “You see the tree there?” The man asked, pointing at a tree that seemed to be older than thirty years or maybe more

    The tree branches were long and thick and were spread here and there, above the other trees, some even reaching the ground.

   The trunk itself was ginormous, even there were roots coming out from the soil up to the ground. Jennie looked back at the man. “No one really went near the tree since they saw the girl from long ago.”

   “What happened to her?” Jennie asked.

   “Don’t know, I was probably thirteen when we didn’t see her there anymore.” The man replied. “Some even went into the house but never came back, the ones who did were covered in scratches, without clothes and were covered in blood.”

   “Did they have marks on their necks?”

   “Not really, it was mostly stranger blood.” The man replied. “Why do you want to know?”

   “Just interested.” Jennie replied. “How do you know this stuff?” The man chuckled in his deep voice.

   “Because I’m her brother.” The man said, he looked up at Jennie with deep red scary eyes.