Twenty-Two

We called Hotch and he told us to come straight to the BAU and bring the package. I set the hamsters down and Spencer and I both leave immediately. I'm not stupid, I knew to call Hotch right away. It's mostly quiet but my mind is racing with thoughts.

What the hell are we going to tell Hotch... We only just agreed to go on an actual date. I look over at Spencer and can tell his mind is going just as fast as mine is. His hands are gripping the steering wheel so tight, his knuckles are pretty much white. His eyes keep darting from the road to me to the envelope in my lap. I open my mouth to say something, right as he does as well.

"What are we..." I start to say. "Who do you think..." He starts at the same time.

We both let out a slight laugh. "Um you go first," I suggest.

"Who do you think could be doing this?"

"I've been trying to think of a list of names, suspects, the only person coming to mind is Cooper..."

"Do you think he'd come all the way from Florida to do this?"

"Probably not, but who knows. Maybe my kisses are just too irresistible..." I laugh slightly, trying to relieve some of the tension. Spencer scrunches his nose, visibly cringing.

"I forgot you kissed him..."

"No you didn't Mr. Eidetic Memory."

"I was trying to! But yeah... they are that good." I turn to him with a fake-shocked expression.

"Woooow Spencer, I've really turned you into quite the flirt."

"Well I learn from the best."

"Dayumn! Okay Spence," I smile at his confidence. I love him so much.

"What were you going to say?" Oh. Shit.

"What are we going to tell Hotch?" The smile he had fades from his face as it goes slightly pale.

"Oh... Um..."

"Yeahhhhhh..." No words are said but we understand each other completely. The entire team is going to know. We'll have to work on this as a case. It's not just Hotch. It's everyone.

"We could say we've been secretly dating since before the Florida case and that's why I was defending you?"

"My boyfriend's a genius!" He blushes slightly at me calling him my boyfriend. "What? We're in a relationship now so you are technically my boyfriend. But you do also realize that they'll probably put two and two together and realize you're a sub?"

"So? Let them know. I don't care. I'm in love with you Y/N and if protecting you means exposing my sexual preferences, then so be it." I smile at him. I almost forget why we're driving in the first place because of how perfect this moment is. His confidence has grown so much more these past few months. He's so sure of himself.

He's... everything.

I almost forgot. But I didn't. Someone is targeting me. Us. He's included in this now. I've got him wrapped up in this. If we weren't doing what we've been doing, he'd be safe. I think about how these cases end. Foyet. This cannot be like Foyet. I don't even know if this unsub is murderous. He may not be, but if he is... Spencer could-

"What's wrong?" Spencer asks as he pulls into his BAU parking space.

"Nothing, let's just-" I move to open the door but he softly puts his hand on my face and directs me to look at him. He gently kisses my lips before whispering, more concerned.

"What's wrong Y/N?"

"I feel like I put you in danger... this psychopath would only be after me if it wasn't for me getting you involved with, well me. I can't lose you Spencer..."