Nine

The entire plane ride, the atmosphere was tense. Spence decided to sit next to you at the end of the jet while everyone else sat on the other side. It was silent the entire time and you felt them keep looking back at you two. You communicated with Spence through texts whenever he wanted to talk, but you shut it down pretty quickly saying 'we'll talk back at my place' or 'I don't wanna talk about it right now'. It was true, you really didn't want to talk about what happened on that airstrip with Officer Fuckface. The more you thought about it, the grosser you felt.

You had to keep reminding yourself you did it to protect Spencer. He didn't have to face what you've been facing. For now, at least, the team was clueless. They just thought he was blindly supporting you and being there. They didn't understand why he was doing it, they never would.

You broke out of your thoughts with the jolt of the plane landing. "Can you drive?" you ask Spence softly.

"Yeah, of course. Do we want to pick up some lunch as well?"

"Sure, whatever. As long as it's to-go. I really wanna go home." He nods as you both collect your things. You hear Hotch clear his throat.

"This case was a hard one, I'm giving everyone two days off. Unless an emergency case comes in, I'm forcing you all to stay away from work," he turns and looks at you, "Y/N, a word?"

"Hotch? Can we talk about this some other time? Please?" He looks at you sternly, contemplating what to answer.

"Fine, come in an hour earlier after your two days off." An hour? Jeez...

"Yes, sir." Spence and you start to move past everyone. You hear every single person say goodbye to him but not a single word to you. Fan-fucking-tastic. You stop right by the exit of the jet, noticing Spence being held up by Morgan.

"Kid, are you sure you wanna go with her?"

"As I said before, I'm not a child. I can make my own decisions. I'm not scared or disgusted by her like you all are. She's not a different person, I don't understand why you all are treating her like she is." He retorts. He waits for a response but they stayed silent so he kept walking. They couldn't see it yet, but he had a new sense of confidence about him. It was incredible to witness, and knowing you had something to do with it, you were actually helping him, made you feel so happy and validated.

Like every piece of torment and every judgmental look or comment you got your way was worth it.

--

"You've only been here one other time right?" You ask him as you start unlocking your apartment.

"Yeah, but I didn't get to really look around, since it was a big party."

"Well," you open your door, "welcome to my lair. Feel free to look around and ask questions about whatever. Since you're being so open and honest with me, I'm going to return the favor. Whenever we're alone, you can question me about anything and I will always be honest with you. I'm gonna make some coffee and take the food out, make yourself at home." You were rambling. Why were you nervous? You didn't think he could tell because once you stopped talking, he wandered into your living room to start looking around. You chuckled and moved into your kitchen to unpack the Indian takeout he had gotten on the way home.

"Y/N? Why are there colored tubes running through your apartment?" Oh. Probably should've warned him about that.

"Oh, I have two hamsters. They live separately but both have a tube system that runs through the apartment so they can wander wherever. They also have little pit-stops with treats and toys and exercise wheels." Since your apartment was open concept, you could see him start to smile and hold back laughter. "Shut up! I love my furbabies and since I don't have actual kids and can't have a dog or cat, I spoil them. It was a lot of fun setting it all up and I love watching them walk around my apartment."