Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I walk into my small wooden house, shutting the door with a slam. I see my sister making dinner. “Smells good,” I comment, hanging my coat up on the coat rack. “Thanks,” she answers, sitting down on a sofa across from me. “How was your day? Get any more customers?” she asks hopeful. I sigh, “only five. What about you?” “Eh, it was fine,” she says, sipping her coffee. My sister is twenty with dark brown, long hair that she always ties back in a messy bun. I always tell her to leave it down, but she always complains, shooting back, “I don’t have that kind of time on my hands to make myself up.” We live in a real small town in Pennsylvania, and when you live in a small town, you know almost everyone who lives there. My sister puts her cup of coffee down on the wooden table when I hear the hugest bang coming from outside. It repeats several times. Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! I can feel the ground rumbling with every bang that follows. “What the hell is that?!” I panic, making my way to the window. “I don’t know! You’re the one at the window, you tell me!” shouts Malory, getting up off of her seat. What I see is really hard to process. “F-fire.. Why is there fire!” I scream, grabbing my sister to the window. “Holy shit! Stay here, Shally. I’m going out there,” she tells me, forcing me to release my grip on her t-shirt. “Are you kidding me?! You cant go out there! There’s fire!!” I yell at her, looking at her like she’s insane. “There’s fire, someone’s gotta let it out,” she argues, running out the door. Right as she runs out a huge bomb lights up the entire town. The last thing I hear is a scream. A scream that pierces my ears with fear. That scream belonged to my sister. The only person I has left in my family. All I can remember after hearing that scream I see more and more fire, then everything goes black.

“Pour some water on her, she’ll wake up,” I hear an unfamiliar voice say. I am wide awake now that I am soaked in cold water. I jump up onto my feet and find myself staring at a boy with messy blonde hair and hazel eyes. Then I look to my right to see Josh holding an empty bucket of water in his hands. He quickly throws it down, embracing me in a huge bear hug. “W-what happened? W-ho, where am I?” I ask, lightly pushing him away. “Ask this doofis,” growls Josh, pointing to the blonde guy, now I realize that he has a gun in his hand. I start to panic a little, scooting back a few inches away from him. “My friends and I were fooling around and we spilled some gasoline everywhere. It caught fire and then nearly everyone died in your town,” he explains clicking the gun. I snatch it away from him, throwing it far into the trees. “Hey!” he whines, looking at me with wide eyes. “So than why didn’t I die?” I question sternly. “Cause you survived. That’s why,” he tells me, giving me one of those ‘know it all’ grins. Josh comes from a different town a few miles South of mine, so I suppose it didn’t really affect him. “My sister died cause of you!” I hiss, nearly about to strangle him. Right when I am about to swing at him he grabs my arm, stopping me from swinging. Gosh this guy is pretty strong.