Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Hey, do you want some help with that?" I ask Ross who is trying to relight his fire. He sighs, almost ready to give up and says, "yeah, I guess you could try to help." I smile, taking the two pieces of wood from his hands, and swiftly rubbing them together to create friction. I blow on the pieces of wood, which lights with a spark a few seconds later. As the fire gets bigger and bigger I set the pieces of wood down, throwing in some more pieces. Ross looks at me with an impressed look. "Wow, how'd you learn how to do that?" "Eh, kind of knew how to make a good fire my whole life. My father taught me how when I was seven," I explain, sitting next to him on a nearby log, warming my hands in the fire. "Oh, cool," goes Ross, giving a small smile. Just then I hear a shriek. "What the hell-" goes Ross looking back into the woods. "JOSH!!" "Uh-oh." We scramble up onto our feet and I start to panic. "Josh!!!! Where are you?!" I yell, climbing up in a tree to get a better look of the forest. The sight makes me want to just die. It makes me want to just drop dead, for Josh lays limp on the ground with cuts all over him. Blood gushed out of the cuts and leaks onto the ground. I frantically run towards him, sulking. I drop down crying right next to him, ripping off my shirt to sop up the blood on his cuts. Ross sits next to me and comforts me, rubbing my bare back. Josh isn't even breathing, and I cant feel a pulse. "Shally...-" "No, he-he c-cant b-b-be-" "he's gone, Shally," says Ross, brushing his hand over Josh's eyes that close almost too soon. He has been there for me my entire life. I can't loose him now. I'll never be the same! Ross buries Josh's body later that day. We suspected that he got an extremely deep from a wild cat or hawk.

Now I sit miserably in the cave we found, watching the flames of our fire dance around. Since I used my shirt to sop up Josh's blood, I can no longer wear it. All I have is my tattered bra and jeans. I am starting to wish that I didn't buy them pre ripped. "I would give you a jacket or shirt, but I have none," goes Ross, watching me shiver. I smile, "it's fine, im fine." "Are you sure?" "yeah," Ross looks at me, knowing I am lying and comes over to where I am sitting. He wraps his warm, muscular arms around me. I cant believe I am actually letting him do this. But... I think I kind of like it.