Chapter 51: Eren and the Scouts Attack Marley

this one is going to be really sad, so I am very sorry in advance 🤧  

  two weeks later

    You woke with a jolt as the noise surrounding you finally sunk in. Your back met the cold wood of the kitchen chair that you had fallen asleep on, but your shoulders felt warmed by the wool blanket that draped over your body. Sasha was usually one to cover you with a blanket when you fell asleep somewhere you shouldn't have. "Mornin', sunshine!" Connie's unabashedly loud voice sounded in your ear. "Good morning," you mumbled, pulling the blanket tighter around yourself as you processed your surroundings: 

    Hange was pored over a pot of roasting beans that Yelena had promised were "way better than that old tea shit," but she wasn't seeming to get the concept too well. Levi was cleaning up the messes she made as she recklessly ground the beans to dust, a boiling pot billowing steam throughout the room. Sasha was, not surprisingly, eating breakfast directly across the table from you, where Levi had sat during your conversation so many weeks ago. Connie was now flicking your forehead, leaving small red dots as he giggled at your annoyed face, but even you couldn't help but offer a small grin. You could hear water running and assumed that Jean was trying to tame his hair that Sasha kept picking on him for, but two people were till unaccounted for. 

    Dragging your tired bones up from the chair and leaving Connie to bother Sasha now, you made your way to Mikasa's dorm. The door was closed, not surprisingly, but you didn't have to press your ear to the door to know that Armin was in there with her. Even still, your curiosity got the better of you: you wanted to know what they were talking about. Regardless, you felt guilty. 

    You pressed your cold palm against the even colder wooden door, shrugging it open. The conversation that had already been incredibly hushed was completely silenced as you entered. "May I come in?" you asked, leaning against the doorframe. "Yeah," Mikasa said after looking towards Armin, whose face was rather ill-looking. "What's going on?" you asked, sitting on the floor before the bed the two of them were currently sitting on- Armin with his knees to his chest, and Mikasa, sitting cross-legged. You caught the two making eye-contact before they answered you. That was when it dawned on you: 

    "His note came through," you said, your heart sinking. You had been praying that today wouldn't be the day, but, alas, that was beyond your control. Mikasa nodded. "It came through sometime in the middle of the night; it was left by the door for Commander Hange to see it this morning." You nodded slowly, the realization spreading throughout your limbs. "I- I'm going to be moved out to the docks soon," Armin said. That's right, the plan... if it were to happen that Eren ran off, we were going to get Armin to use the Colossal Titan to take out the troops from reaching Paradis..." 

    Ever since you had detailed your first vision of what happened in Marley, you had planned with Levi and Hange to change as many attack plans as you could from what you had seen in your vision. Hange had predicted that, surely, if so many variables were altered, that the outcome would have to be different as well. You were praying that she was right, but even still, you had told Sasha to stay behind. She had protested of course, but you were sure that she would obey the plan. 

    "(Y/N)," Armin said, lightly waving his hand in front of your face. You jolted back to reality, nodding your head, not knowing what he had asked you. "Are you okay?" he asked again, seeming to realize your distraction. "Me?" you asked, eyebrows raised, "of course." He nodded, then heaved his weary joints up from the bed. Mikasa watched him as he opened the door, then offered the two of you a weak smile before heading out. 

    Mikasa inhaled on the bed before you as the door closed, her eyes practically buried in her knees. "Why does he have to do this all the time?" Mikasa asked, her voice cracking as she curled herself further into her knees. You stood up, sitting on the bed net to her in the spot that Armin had just vacated. It still felt warm. You wrapped an arm around Mikasa's shoulders, pulling her closer to you. Her bundled up body, usually so strong and godly, now huddled into you like a small child seeking comfort from its mother. "Why does Eren-" she said, before she couldn't finish the sentence any further. "I wish I knew," you said, feeling your brain going back to that dark place that it tended to go when you thought about the future.