Chapter 35: Looking for You

"This is ridiculous!" a girl's high-pitched voice shouted out into the clearing of the forest. Your group had since taken to the foliage after your hideout became less secure than you'd have hoped, considering everyone in it: you, Hange, Levi, Mikasa, Armin, Jean, Sasha, and Connie, were all severely wanted by the royal government. "It is not ridiculous!" a male's deep, irritated voice rang out in response to the girl. "It's not my problem that your head is so far up the government's ass that you don't mind doing busy work this," the girl retorted. Levi snorted in approval of her choice of word as stood across from you in the treetops. The scheduled loud clanging sounded from the river only a few meters from the bases of the trees that you and Levi were perched in, blades at the ready. "What was that?" the girl asked, seeming more keen on the job of looking for war prisoners now that there was some promise to it. It only took a couple of footfalls on the ground for them to spot Armin's blonde head collecting water in a bucket along the riverside. "Hands where I can see them!" the male's voice rang, clearly ecstatic that he had made an accomplishment of the mission. "Not so fast," Levi's voice rang, and you took the jerking motion of his head to dismount. You took the girl, your blade perched at her throat, your arm grasping her under her breasts as she snorted in derivation, the male in surprise. "You are so fucking stupid," the girl hissed, slowly raising her hands against your restraint. 

    The girl, Hitch, was rather pretty: a fantastic body, short, curly, toffee brown hair, and a cheeky smile that conveyed the most flirtatious glances even when in strife. As for the guy, Marlowe, he had the kind of pick-me attitude that drove you mad with annoyance. As you tugged on her Military Police jacket, Marlowe started up again. "Seriously, we can help you guys!" he bursted, his eyes pleading for you to believe him. He was very quick at listening to Levi's story of what had happened and what your missions were. "That's not up to me," you said, zipping the jacket to conceal the tattered, stained shirt that you wore underneath from all these days on the run. How many days has it been now? "You," Marlowe said, turning to face Levi, who was sharpening his blades on a shimmering rock from the river, "we want to help; please trust us." "I wish I could," Levi said, and he sounded like he meant it, "but we can't trust anyone right now." He stood up, beginning to stride off, Marlowe and Hitch tied loosely together so that they could escape after your group was long gone, when he turned and said, "your information on the checkpoint was valuable." 

    You ran your fingers through your now-very short hair, liking the way it flopped to the side and ran, from beginning to end, through your fingers. You heard whispering behind you, from a girl, but too feminine to be Mikasa or Sasha: Hange had stayed behind to find Flegel before the MPs did. "So, what's his name?" the girl asked, clearly not putting too much effort in remaining anonymous. "Oh-" Armin said, apparently the object to whom Hitch was speaking. "That's, uh-" "Ugh, whatever, you can't tell me," Hitch whined, trying to stretch her neck back against the trunk of the tree. Marlowe was glowing a furious red next to her. "Well, hey," she said, louder now, getting your attention, "when you get back from like murdering my crewmates, we should get a drink." She winked at you with such a ferocity that you felt your cheeks grow hot, but remembering Eren trapped with someone who allegedly planned to eat him made you come back to your senses. "If my boyfriend's dead by then," you paused, enjoying her shocked reaction to a voice that was likely much different than she'd expected, "then, yeah, I'll find you." You winked back, strutting off, swaying your hips to add to the immense satisfaction you felt at seeing her cheeks glow a little red too. 

    The leaves above tickled the back of your neck as you waited, crouched in the treeline of a new forest, several miles away, the night sky as black as the color itself. The outpost had some lanterns that illuminated the entrances, guards standing at the doors, and people milling about wheeling carts with weapons on them. "When is Sasha sending it in?" you asked, impatience biting at your ears as a cold wind whipped through you. "Any minute," Levi responded, peeking his head out from the bush adjacent to you. "When we see fire, me, you, and Mikasa have to go," Levi whispered, turning to face Mikasa, whom you couldn't see in the darkness. The moon hung in the sky like it was placed there ever so gently by someone, the dark clouds surrounding it like distant friends. Your eyes were pulled from the sky, however, as a loud clanging noise pierced through the night. You turned, seeing the flaming cart barreling into the outpost, knocking people and carts aside as it flew downhill. Levi didn't give a signal; you and Mikasa sprang after him through the thick night air, following the light from the retreating cart as it drove further inward to the compound.