13 - Into a World

ALTERED LAST CHAPTER! PHIL IS UNAWARE OF TOMMY, INSTEAD ITS WILBY :]

s

"Heyyy, Wilbur." Tommy said sheepishly, his wings still fluttering and trembling. As if he had never fallen or tore his wings off, each feather was preened to perfection. He looked like an angel. He looked lost.

"Holy shit..." Wilbur raised a hand to his mouth, tears filling his eyes. They fell from his face, but he refused to blink, acting as if the boy infront of him would disappear when he did blink. Phil perked up, his sky-blue eyes, nowhere near as icy as Tommy's, searching the suddenly happy man. 

"Wil? Who is it?" The Elytrian asked, standing up.

"Phil... it's," Wilbur whispered something, his voice broken. Clearing his throat and looking to his father figure with all the happiness in the world in his eyes, he looked directly into Phil's. "It's Tommy."

"Tommy?" Phil had a flare of hope in his eyes, but it was almost immediately squashed out. It appeared and went so quickly that Wilbur wasn't even sure if it was actually there. "Wil, he's- he's gone."

"Yes! But he's here again!" Wil looked at Tommy, who was holding up and hand and looked like he was trying to say something, just figuring out how to word it. 

"Wil-," The boy started, but went silent when Phil began to talk again.

"No, Wil, you saw it in the chat. You went to his makeshift funeral, you saw his body. You watched him get buried. You know he's dead." Phil said with a harder tone, looking back at the book he was reading with disinterest.

"But he's- he's right here, come in, come in!" Wilbur grabbed Tommy's arm, gently pulling the Avian Class inside. Tommy wasn't sure how to react, just staring numbly at the floor and letting the two continue. For a moment Phil's eyes laid on him, and Tommy closed his eyes, bracing himself.

"Where?" 

There it was. 

"What do you- here, Phil!" Wilbur was almost choking on his own tears now. Was he in denial? No. No, he wasn't. Tommy was here, he was right... right here. With him. He lightly ruffled Tommy's hair, a new warm fondness in his eyes. Tommy smiled, pretending to be offended by the action, backing to the side. Wilbur and Tommy snickered, but Phil shattered the mood.

"Wil... There's nothing there." 

"What? But he's- wha...? Tommy, why can't he see you?" Wilbur saw Phil's eyes widen, and the man clenched his fist for a moment. The darkness in his eyes were replaced by an even deeper sorrow.

"I don't know, this is my first time being dead as a ghost." Tommy shrugged like it was nothing. Wilbur frowned at him, turning his eyes back to Phil. 

"Come on, Tommy, we have to go tell everyone else." He smiled brightly, feeling a tug on his sweater.

"Wil, I don't..." Tommy's voice broke, "I don't think they can see me."

"Why not?" Wilbur paused, reaching out to pet Tommy's headwings. The feathers looked sort of out of place, probably from his idle flapping. He did notice the boy felt cold, like a moving block of ice. 

"I don't know." Tommy walked up to Phil, waving his hand over the man's eyes and trying to fluff his wings. Phil didn't react, and Tommy only managed to barely move a few of the lighter, smaller feathers. "What the hell, man?"

"T...Tommy, come on." Wilbur looked at Phil with uncertainty in his eyes, holding his ghostly hand out to the boy. "Let's go tell Tubbo, surely he'll see. Maybe something's just wrong with Phil..?"