Chapter One

I'm in my element. Listening to Giveon, windows opened taking in the fresh air while focusing on finishing my 10th Lace front wig this week.

I've been selling my wig creations to venders for 3 years now and my business has skyrocketed the last 8 months. Hair vendors all around the US, Canada, UK and now Africa wants my style.

What I do is I'll make the wig, send the wig out to vendors and they will make thousands of my style and sell it to Hair businesses. I was just picked for Teen Vogues top 10 up coming entrepreneurs of the year.

Being a young black woman from Atlanta Georgia I've never thought something I love to do so much will bring me so much joy and Acknowledgment.

I'm grateful but life hits me and I still feel empty inside. After my Father passed two years ago due to cancer I've put all my time into my work. All I ever wanted was to make him proud of me.

Some nights get lonely and things I cannot explain comes to life. I moved back in with my mama and little brother last year. Due to the nightmares and shadows I would see and have, I couldn't bare to live alone. Its been months since my last interaction with a spirit and I feel a little at ease with my life at this time.

"Hey Kensley, ma said come down for breakfast" my little brother Branson said which knocked me out of my daydream over the things I cannot stop thinking about.

"Okay Buba I'll be down in 5 mins" I say while sewing the last parts of the Ombre Bob wig before I had to pluck the lace.

Branson walked closer to me and my wig stand and stared before speaking.

"What?" I asked looking up with a raised brow while holding the needle in my mouth.

"You're rocking the media sis! almost every black magazine is talking about you. Social media is going crazy with your hair styles as well."

"forreal?" I said back in shock because I know social media can be overwhelming at times.

"Duh! I mean there's been a few trolls on Instagram and Twitter but no worries I hacked their accounts and bugged their systems!" Branson says with a devious smile.

My Fifteen year old little brother is tech savvy as fuck. He's my tech guy for my online business and social media accounts. He's been suspended twice for hacking the school website and changing the lunch menu for five months straight before he got caught.

On the brighter side schools around the nation want him with his skills but Branson has a hard time putting his skills to good use,but for now he's my tech boy.

"Branson Dashawn Jones I told you to stop doing that" I say with a raised voice with my hand on my hip.

While raising his hands up "Okay sorry but the trolls had it coming, it wasn't their first offense"

With a stale face " Mhm sure they did"  I say.

"Come on now before the eggs get cold" Branson says walking away but stopped at my bedroom door with one last comment.

With a smirk "Oh and while you're fixing that mannequin head, are you going to do something with yours?"

"Boy get out of my room" I say while throwing a roll of thread at his head but he was already down the stairs before it hit the door frame. He was laughing all the way downstairs. I love my little brother but Chile he can get on my nerves like no other.

______.______
Mmm my mama's cooking brings joy to my soul. Walking down the stairs she was pouring orange juice into a glass cup for my brother.

"Good Morning Mama" I said while taking a seat across from my brother at the kitchen table.

"Good morning baby, how'd you sleep?"

"Umm pretty good" that was a lie but I didn't want her to worry.

My mother is the definition of a strong black woman. She's a full-time nurse, so she works 80+ hours a week. She never complains and I've only seen her cry once and that was at my daddy's funeral.
My daddy was her best friend, when he left he took apart of her as well. We've grown closer these last 2 years and I'm proud of her more then she knows.

"Okay Kensley Mae" she says while sitting down next to me with the mama knows look on her face.

"I wanted to talk to you and your brother about something" she says while cutting her pancakes. Both Branson and I looked up at each other in a confused way.

"About?" we both said looking at her.

"Well its finally summer and you both know I do my traveling nursing package during the summer time. I've decided to use it this year but in one location"

"That's cool Ma! where you going?" Branson says while sipping his OJ.

"It's not I its we" she responded back. She continue to speak before we could question what she meant by it.

"I've decided to take my work package to Tybee Island this summer and I want you two to join me." her smile was warm and inviting.

"Wait Tybee? like Dads hometown Tybee?" Branson says with confusion. "Mama its been 7 years since we've been there last, and I was only eight."

"Yes I'm aware how long its been for you and honestly for all of us, But we all could use this break" she says.

"But ma you'll be working the whole time, would it actually be a break?" Branson asked.

"Yes it will be because I will be working part-time so I'll have more time with you Branson.
"Kensley why haven't you spoken yet? what's your thoughts on this?" She turned to me.

Before speaking my thoughts were, why? why Tybee out of all places to vacay? that was our dads hometown and so much memories were there. Not sure if can handle seeing something he loved so much without him.

I signed "Mama I have to work. You know I cant put that on hold" I didn't tell her the whole truth but that was true.  I run a business and taking a vacation would put me behind.

"Good thing I checked with Miss Joey because he advise me you're a month ahead on your hair units. So you'll be able to take this two week vacation without worrying about work my love" She smiled and took a mouth full of grits.

Miss Joey is my assistant, He's my ride or die, Diva of all diva's and he don't play when it comes to me. So it was a surprise he hasn't brought my inventory up to me yet but I know he wouldn't lie to make my mama happy.

"Mama do you really want us to do Vacation in Tybee? You going part time there will not help with bills because you refuse to take any money from me" I say with a raised brow to my mom.

"And I wont. You worked hard for yours and I don't need the help baby but thank you" she rubbed my back for reassurance. " Little do I tell but our family vacation home has been paid off in full and its been accumulating money from Airbnb bookings. So its all good. I stopped the request just so we can be in our vacation home all together."

I knew my Mama put so much work into planning this for us, so arguing back on why we shouldn't would be pointless.

"So what do y'all say?' She asked looking back and forth to me and Branson.

"I'm game as long as I can bring my computer set up" Branson says with a shrug.

"Of course Buba you can" my mama said back. " Kensley?" she asked

"Yes lets go" I smiled to my mama and brother and they both smiled back with agreement.

"When do we leave" I asked

"Tomorrow" she says with a quick response.

"Wait tomorrow..."

----.----
End of Chapter One.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and gotten a brief understanding of Kensley and details on her family. More to come with this story and you'll start meeting peeps as the story comes along. Thank you for reading please Follow and Vote.

I appreciate you and take care ♥️