Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Tom gets cold and mean.

You looked up at Tom with tears in your eyes. He, too, was crying. You hugged him.

"I'm so sorry. I should've been faster. I can never forgive myself." he sobbed.  

"It’s not your f-fault." you stammered between sobs. “A-and besides, it was just a robbery.” You give Tom a weak smile, then look back down at your feet.

"It could’ve been more than that. I  shouldn't have taken so long. I should've answered your first call. You wouldn't have to endure this if I hadn't ignored you. I am so... So.. So sorry. Please forgive me." he held you in his arms. You stayed silent. There was no noise except for yours and Toms' gasps and sobs. He picked you up, walking to his car, holding his head high. He gently placed you in your seat. Tom took out a folded blanket from under his seat and spread it over you. You didn't want to look into his eyes. You were so ashamed, you let him get hurt. You hid your face with the blanket. You felt Tom look at you multiple times. Yours and Toms' breathing evened out.  

"Y-you should let me l-look at th-that." you offered, gesturing towards his cut.

"I c-could sew th-that up.." you stammer awkwardly. You still didn't look at him in the eyes. He drew a long breath. He bit his lip and ran his tongue over his teeth before answering you.

"Whatever pleases you." he said harshly. You felt hot tears prickle the back of your eyes. You didn't want them to escape, but you let them. You couldn't control it. After a long silence, you made it to the apartment building. You were shivering. You wrapped the blanket all around you. Tom opened the door for you and lifted you up again. He made his way up the stairs, you hugging his neck and sobbing into his chest.  

"The men took my umbrella.." you told him. He looked down at you, but then you looked away to avoid his eyes.  

"So do you have your key, then?" he said sternly. You looked into your bag, noticing how things spilled out during the robbery-- including your keys.

“I… seemed to have lost it…” you say quietly.  

"Fuck." he kicked your door and left a dent. You gasped. He looked angry and confused.  

"Damn. Just, it's.." he grumbled.  

"I guess you can sleep on my bed. I'll sleep on the couch." he kicked his door open and kicked it shut. He rushed into his room and gently laid you on his bed. His big blue eyes shone with tears again.  

"I'm sorry." he whispered again. He walked toward the door. He stopped at the door frame and looked at you with a side glance.

"Don't go into work tomorrow." he announced, and walked out, and closed the door.  

It was the loneliest night you'd ever spent.