2: The Sorting Hat

[victoria's pov]

Tom and I stood next to each other in the crowd of first-year students. We were currently waiting to be sorted into our groups. As we were the tallest and oldest in the group, we stood out as students whispered, wondering why we had been enrolled so late.

Dumbledore explained it was because we had remained undetected for so many years, despite our use of magic. Though Tom had been a better wizard than I our entire lives, even without truly understanding it.

I suspected Tom had been practising out of my sight, even though he would never admit it. He would never admit he needed practice–he'd rather I believe he was born a naturalist.

The great hall was magical–A sky above our heads left me in awe as we waited under the stars.

"Look at all these half-bloods," Tom said, disgusted.

"Tom."

"What?"

"We're both half-bloods too. Dumbledore told us that," I said with a goofy grin.

Tom rolled his eyes. "Shut up."

I playfully swatted his arm and heard his name be called by Professor Dumbledore.

"Tom Riddle!"

I saw Tom cringe at his muggle name. I never really understood why he hated it because I liked his name.

The infamous sorting hat was placed on his head once he sat on the wooden stool. It didn't take long for the hat to sort out Tom as it barely thought about it.

"Slytherin!" the hat declared. The Slytherins started to cheer as Tom stood back up and walked to the Slytherin table.

"Victoria Clearwater!"

I nervously walked toward the sorting hat and sat on the stool.

"Hm... interesting. Your mind and strength resides in Slytherin," it said. "But your heart belongs to... Gryffindor!" it shouted.

I looked over at Tom. Disappointment lingered in his eyes as he watched me walk over to the Gryffindor table. Never did we consider that we'd be separated. Not even on the train.

I was greeted with handshakes, smiles, and pats on the back.

"Hi!" I heard a cheery voice say.

I looked behind me and saw a cheery boy around my age.

"Hi," I said back awkwardly.

"I'm Sirius Black," he said with a constant smile that made me melt. He held out his hands for a handshake and I accepted it.

"I'm Victoria. Clearwater. Nice to meet you," I introduced myself.

"Oh, there's no need to be formal with me. Especially if we're going to be friends," he said reassuringly. "I imagine it'd be difficult considering your newness and age. You're quite old."

"Damn, do you mean you're not a seventh year?" I asked.

"I'm only joking," Sirius answered. "I'm a seventh year student. But that's good news because that means you've made the right friend to show you the ropes."

I smiled. "I like the sound of that, friend."

Sirius grinned as he had a sudden thought. He looked over at the Slytherin table while Tom was quietly discussing with a platinum blonde boy–who also looked like a seventh year student.

He leaned in closer to my ear. "Are you close with Riddle?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well, he's a Slytherin now so I suggest you stay away from him. Gryffindors and Slytherins don't get along well. They're practically enemies," he said. "That's Malfoy he's talking to. Lucius Malfoy."

He didn't say anything else. Probably for a dramatic effect and it kind of gave way.

"But, welcome to Hogwarts! My older cousins said there are some ghosts who will scare you for fun, but otherwise, it's normal like any other magical school."

For once, I felt like I was at home, but somehow, I still felt empty. I looked over at Tom. We have never been apart for long before, but just because I'm in Gryffindor doesn't mean that we are enemies now.

Right?

-------☾-------