.devastation

Look, my eyes are
just holograms.
Look, your love has drawn
red from my hands.
From my hands you know
you'll never be,
More than twist
in my sobriety.

TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY / TANITA TIKARAM

"It's not what it looks like." Margaret said, turning around to face the brunette that stood behind her. Placing her hands in the pockets of her coat, Lily swayed on her heels. "Well, now you've got me confused." she clicked her tongue, pointing a finger between the two teens. "You say it's not what it looks like..." she started, slowly taking a step forwards as her amused face suddenly formed into a serious one. "But it seems pretty clear to me."

"Look, it's my fault." Oliver spoke before Margaret could, causing her to give him a side glance as he took a step away from her, "I leaned in, and I made a mistake. I shouldn't have done that." he sighed. Turning her gaze away from him slowly, Margaret averted it towards Lily, who had a smug look on her face.

"Stating the obvious, just like you usually do, rich boy." Lily replied, before shrugging. "Oh, well... Since you've already moved on, as it seems..." she started, her hand rummaging around her coat pocket as if she were looking for something.

"What do you mean by that?" Margaret asked, suddenly becoming angry, "Let's just talk." she suggested, tone softer as Lily let out a scoff.

"I think it's a bit late for that, Margaret Brown." the brunette replied, taking an envelope from her pocket and handing it to the blonde. Margaret squinted, eyebrows furrowing as she took the piece of paper from Lily's hand.

"What's this?" she asked, turning the envelope around. Crossing her arms in front of her chest, Lily spoke calmly; "I went to the post office today because I was expecting a letter from Gilbert. Turns out he finally remembered to send one to you." she explained, spitting out the last part angrily as Margaret's shaky hands gripped the envelope, her eyes running over the back of it. It was Gilbert's handwriting, that's for sure. The post mark was from London and the letter was addressed to her. Furrowing his eyebrows, Oliver only watched the girl with his jaw clenched.

"I took the liberty of opening it for you," Lily added as Margaret opened the envelope, throwing it to the ground as she pulled the letter out, her cold fingers working to unwrap the folded piece of paper. "Though, I couldn't bring myself to read all of it. It's kind of depressing." she mocked as Margaret's eyes scanned the all familiar handwriting.

Dear Margaret,

Seeing that this situation has affected the both of us, I had come to a decision. Trust me, this is as hard for me as it is for you, and I never thought I'd be right here, writing this, with our destiny in my hands. Firstly, I would like to ask you to stop sending me letters. Secondly, I'm informing you that you shouldn't expect any further letters from me, either. You have a life in Avonlea, and I have the world of possibilities here. I hope you understand.