.the fire

"MARGARET! Get up! We have to hurry!"

Margaret was awoken by Anne screaming and yelling at her to hurry, causing the blonde girl to confusedly follow Anne down the stairs into the kitchen where Marilla and Matthew were putting on their coats.

"Woah, woah! What's going on here?" Margaret managed to yell out before Anne pulled her out the door.

"Ruby's house! It's on fire!" Anne breathed out as they climbed on the horse.

When they came near the Willis' house, they found it covered in flames. Ruby, her mother and the small newborn baby were crying, Diana and her family were next to them, and the boys were helping put the fire out.

"Anne! Margaret! You're here!" Diana ran and fell into Anne's hands as she sobbed.

"Poor Ruby." she continued as she glanced at the flames engulfing the house. Margaret came closer to see if she could help when she spotted that all the doors inside the house are open. An idea came into her mind.

"Anne! Look!" pointing towards the inside, Margaret continued "-the doors inside! They're all open!"

Anne quickly caught up on what was Margaret trying to say, and she nodded.

"We have to take a cloth, any will do. And put it into water!" the redhead hurriedly spoke as she ran to get the things she needed. At the same time, Margaret took off her coat and ran inside.

"Margaret, what on earth are you doing!" Diana called after her,but she didn't turn around. Right as she saw her come into the house, Diana called out to Anne.

"Anne! Margaret! She ran into the house!" as soon as she said that, Marilla turned around to run in after her, but was soon stopped by the neighbors.

"Marilla! It's alright!" Anne went up to the worried woman.

"I have to go get Margaret!"

"No, I'll go." the redhead ran into the house, ignoring Marilla's pleas.

At the same time, Margaret was closing the doors on the second floor, and then went up the stairs to close the ones on the first. As she neared to close the ones that belonged to Ruby's room, she heard someone call her name.

Gilbert was out the window, pouring water into the room, before he saw her.

"Margaret!" the last thing she saw before closing the door was the worried look on his face.

As she was walking down the stairs, getting dizzy because of the smoke, she ran into Anne.

"Anne? What are you-" but she was soon stopped when the redhead put a wet cloth on her face, took her hand and quickly ran outside.

The last thing Margaret remembered before blacking out are the comforting hands of Marilla.

.
.
.

"Is she waking up?"

"Margaret?"

"I told you she was a loon!"

"She basically ran in!"

"Is she dead?"

-is what Margaret heard before opening her eyes and coughing. Noticing she was lying down onto Anne, she quickly got up with a hand on her chest.

"Did they put the fire out?" she turned around and there was no fire to be seen. She sighed happily.

"Now would you explain to me why were you running into a burning house, young lady! What if something happened to you?" Marilla hugged the blonde before Anne spoke up.

"Margaret was just trying to help! The doors inside the house were open, and fire needs oxygen to grow. So she simply needed to close the door to prevent the oxygen from spreading, and the fire with it!" the redhead proudly stated as she hugged her best friend.

"I guess those physics lessons with Miss Jane finally paid out." Margaret laughed ,causing her to cough again.

On the other side of the yard, Ruby was fuming at her mother for having to stay at the Cuthbert household. That girl... Margaret never understood why she didn't like her or Anne. It's really-

"Hey." Margaret was snapped out of her thoughts when a figure appeared behind her.

"Jesus!" the blonde yelped,turning around.

"Lily! Are you alright?" Margaret sighed as she saw the ash on the brunette's shirt and face.

"I should be asking you the same thing. I mean, those were some bold moves out there."

"I just wanted to help. It's nothing , really!"

"No, it's something alright. Something big. You're a hero. You deserve to be in the picture."

"The picture?"

"Come with me."

.
.
.

Margaret was sat in her house, basically the whole neighborhood came to the Cuthbert household. Margaret didn't really see the point in it, she was no hero. The people here were just stupid and only a simple act of bravery or brains fascinated them. Idiots.

"Wow, you never cease to surprise me." a boy sat next to Margaret, offering her an apple. She remembered the first time she apologized, Gilbert tried to be nice and give her an apple, but she slapped him with a book. How rude.

"Thank you, Gilbert. I'll take that as a compliment!" she took the apple from his hand and bit into it.

"Really sweet, as always." she smirked, and he laughed out loud.

"I was meaning to ask you..." the boy begun, and Margaret continued eating her apple, throwing him quick shy glances.

"If you wanted to go to the park with me. Just the two of us." he gulped when she scoffed.

"Wow, took you long enough to ask. Of course I'll go with you. Just say when and where!" she smiled widely causing him to stutter.

This girl.

I love her.