Chapter 25: Agreement

When Florence saw Sage the next day, there was an exhaustion in her eyes that ran far deeper than lack of sleep could ever reach.

"Your deal," She said, her small form doing nothing to prevent the slight ominous glow from her eyes. "Is it still up for consideration? Because I would like to take it."

And Florence's eyes met hers with a glow of its own.

"I'm glad we have come to an agreement," He allowed the smile on his lips to stay in celebration of his success.

Frankly, Florence hadn't been expecting this to happen so soon, he was expecting it to take weeks, maybe even months. Not that he was complaining. Florence considered him to be a very patient person, however, this didn't mean he liked waiting.

"Did anything happen?" He asked, feigning concern.

"I recently got a new mission, and a seemingly important one too. Would you like me to give you the details?" She responded.

It was an obvious change of subject. Was it deliberately obvious? Or does she just not care?

"Sure,"

It didn't matter much. Either way, it seemed that he would be able to witness some fun things soon.

There was a high chance that Sage's theory was correct and all would go well. But if Sage did die, he may be left here more stranded than currently if the 'system' doesn't transfer over to him. Although, if this didn't work, the chances of him getting the upper hand and managing to escape would already be low.

Would the system transfer to him?

He was confident in his abilities of persuasion, but going up against someone with unknown motives that can read minds is different. Not to mention that 'god' seemed to like keeping his answers vague and therefore keeping things shrouded in mystery. So if the plan fails, he can't be sure if he would manage to convince the self-proclaimed god to give him the system with what they would have tried to pull off.

Then again, 'god' did seem conceited, so there was some chance that he wouldn't pay any attention to the attempt.

So, even if they failed, there wasn't as much for him to lose anyways.

"Thank you," Florence stated in a heartfelt tone, "for trusting me, I mean. I appreciate it."

It was obvious that Sage hadn't trusted him completely yet, but people like her are annoyingly cynical and distrusting. He'd have to have more time to gain her full trust. However, in return, her type of people are always stupidly loyal once their trust and respect were gained.

"I-err, don't worry about it," she uncomfortably replied, seeming to feel awkward at the emotional gooeyness of the words.

Smiling, he carried on further discussing their plans. Surprisingly, Sage turned out to actually have a few useful ideas.

"Thanks for your input!" Florence said as he rose from his chair.

"Oh, likewise. I enjoyed the conversation, so thank you."

Florence smiled back and left the room. He was having dinner with the Marquis soon, so he had to get ready.

Taking a bath and putting on fresh clothes, he went downstairs towards the dining area.

"Good evening," The marquis said, already sitting down at the front of the rather long table.

"Good evening, father," Florence replied while bowing.

He managed to convince 'god' to teach him the basics so that he could act in his role more convincingly.

"You may take a seat,"

Following the instructions, he watched as a servant pulled out the chair across from the Marquis before sitting down in it.

"How was your day?" The marquis asked, his tone annoyingly arrogant as always.

"It was pleasant. I had the usual classes and also had a quick discussion with Sage."

"I see. What did you talk about with her? You seem to have been conversing with her quite often." He replied.

Florence had already told him that they were catching up when discussing at some point so why was the marquis asking again? He was trying to lead Florence somewhere, obviously, but where?

"We are just talking about trivial topics such as events in our day-to-day lives. We went on quite friendly terms after I got rid of my prejudice I turned out to have against her."

"I see. That is good to hear." the marquis took a sip of his wine before continuing. "Why are you so formal? You used to be so relaxed around me. Has something been bothering you?"

Florence's hand stiffened under the table in surprise for a millisecond.

What?! But 'god' said that he was perfectly imitating Florence. Was he lying to pull a prank or something? Florence had thought that the darned self-proclaimed god had some reasons why he was helping him out relating to Sage's theories, and although he considered it being some sort of revenge or prank, after seeing how everyone was fooled, he decided to discard such an idea.

"Hm? Have I been? I don't really feel any different nor do I feel like anything is bothering me. Perhaps it is some sort of psychological after-effect from the bandits?"

Silence fills the air and the atmosphere is riddled with tension and a foreboding feeling for just a second before the tension is broken with a laugh from the marquis.

Actually, the tension doesn't break.

It increases.

The marquis sighs before opening his mouth to speak. "You seriously are such a good actor. Had I not had the information sources I planted, I wouldn't have realized."

He places the wine glass down before staring at Florence straight in the face.

The marquis is smiling, but unlike normal smiles, the joy isn't contagious.

"You can call me Marquis Everflame," The marquis is smiling, but unlike normal smiles, the amusement isn't contagious. "Nice to meet you... Emile, I believe?"

There is another small pause before he continues.

"We have a lot to talk about."

Author's note:

Hello! I am back! :D 

Sorry for the long wait, and thank you so much for being so patient! Hopefully the events in this chapter helps you forget the cringe of the previous one....

So, how do you think Marquis Everflame found out?

Thank you for reading! Stay safe and enjoy your day! :DDD