Chapter 12: Possibility of Revenge

I do not own this image. I found it on Pinterest, saved by the user Lucy Neko Heartfiila.

"Then, if we are moving on, I have a question to ask," Marquis Everflame said, seeming to have regained his composure.

"Yes?" I ask, snapping out of my thoughts.

"Who exactly are you?"

I flinched.

Fudge.

"I-I don't follow what you mean."

'Umm... perhaps he mysteriously got amnesia and forgot about the past 9 years of his life? So he doesn't remember me?' I think, attempting to run away from reality.

"I mean that a malnourished nine year old who lived her whole life stuck in a room, with no education received other than language, wouldn't be able to accomplish something remotely close to what you have. I doubt that she would be able to even muster the courage to request a meeting with me, the person who abused her. Not only that but your etiquette, manner of speech, aura, negotiating skills, etc. are way above the capabilities of an uneducated 9 year old"

Guh! I was too careless. I should have only given hints to my worth and acted more childish. Think! What can I say? Ugh, any more time taken will make me come across as suspicious.

"Why do you need to know? If you are worried about me betraying you, I can prove I won't using my unique magic, once it is unsealed."

A slightly annoyed look came across his face, showing his dissatisfaction towards my answer.

"Sage is my daughter. I have a right to know."

I flash a wry, sad smile. Filled with sympathy for the pitied villainess, who I recently found out was an actual human with emotions. Filled with the guilt of taking the body which belonged to a soul(?) that was not mine. Filled with ironic, bitter humor towards a man who never considered his child his daughter until it became useful for him to do so.

"When have you ever actually considered Sage your daughter?"

The man flinched back and then turned his eyes towards the ground in what perhaps was embarrassment for being seen through.

A silence fills the air for a bit, however this time I was the one to break the silence.

I heave a sigh, then create a cross with my two index fingers and press it on my lips.

"Then this information is confidential. This shall be added to the contract."

I walk towards the door, hoping this small motion would keep my feet from falling into a numb state (if you had forgotten, I was forced to stand throughout the whole conversation).

"Well, if that is all, I will be taking my leave," I say as I reach for the door handle

"Please wait a moment, as I call a servant," he says, his voice that used to be dripping in authority and arrogance was now almost as if he was speaking towards an equal.

He touched a transparent crystal that had a milky green and slightly shiny gas floating around in it. A light spread through the crystal, reflecting off the gas in an unnaturally bright and colorful way.

A few moments later, a rhythmic knock was heard. After Marquis Everflame muttered an 'enter', a male servant in leather knight attire walked through the door.

"Please pardon my humble self for this interruption," the young man said. He made some hand symbols and then kneeled down in a bow.

"Escort Sage to her room. She seems tired. Carry her."