Chapter 6

"I believe Jukjae oppa's voice would be a perfect fit for Chancellor's style; he'll be able to bring out the essence of the song." The artists and musicians had gathered to discuss who should be Taeyeon's duet partner for the song "Angel," originally by Chancellor and featuring her.

"That's a well-considered suggestion. Baekhyun, what are your thoughts?" Hyunwoo, the pianist, inquired formally, turning to Baekhyun who was meant to be Taeyeon's potential duet partner for the song.

Baekhyun, seemingly preoccupied, responded with a hint of distraction, "Sorry? Oh... Y-yeah, l-let's... Let's go for it."

Taeyeon felt a wave of relief washing over her. She hoped to avoid having a duet with him, not because his vocal style wasn't to her liking, but rather for the sake of their fans. She was doing this out of necessity, as discussed by the production team. Regardless of her personal feelings, the duet was bound to happen. Fortunately for her, their duet wouldn't be a recurring event.

"Absolutely, I'm up for it," Jukjae agreed with a determined nod.

"Minhyuk can handle the background vocals," Taeyeon added, assigning the role of background vocalist to Kang Minhyuk. Despite being a drummer in a band, Minhyuk possessed an impressive singing voice.

"Me? Oh... Okay," Minhyuk responded with a smile, ready to take on the new challenge.

"We'll be doing busking at two different locations today, right? Taeyeon, could you pass me the setlist for the second spot, please?" The oldest member requested, and Taeyeon handed over the setlist to him as requested.

"We've finished practicing the songs for the first round. How about we give the second setlist a try?" Taeyeon proposed.

Setlist for the First Location:

1. "Wishlist" - Hyunwoo
2. "Angel" (Chancellor feat. TAEYEON) - Jukjae and Taeyeon
3. "Instagram" (Dean) - Minhyuk
4. "When I Was Your Man" (Bruno Mars) - Baekhyun

Setlist for the Second Location:

1. "Love Again" - Baekhyun
2. "Time Lapse" - Taeyeon
3. "Scars Deeper Than Love" (Yim Jaebeom feat. TAEYEON) - Baekhyun and Taeyeon
4. "Fixing My Makeup" (Wax) - Taeyeon

Taeyeon's throat went dry when she saw the setlist for the second location. This was the moment she had been dreading... the end of their performance. There were still a few songs left, including a duet. She hoped that everything would go smoothly, especially knowing the size of Baekhyun's fandom and the possibility that they could locate their busking location and join in.

With the first setlist already practiced, they moved on to practicing the songs for the second setlist. They began with "Love Again" and "Time Lapse," songs they were more familiar with as they were their own solo songs.

"Shall we do the duet? Let us know if you're ready," the pianist suggested.

Uncharacteristically, Byun Baekhyun locked eyes with Taeyeon, both seeking a cue. A hint of a smile almost played on his lips when they both nodded simultaneously, creating an inexplicable connection. Taeyeon's cheeks reddened, and her actions didn't go unnoticed by the others, who chuckled as she covered her face.

"Alright, 3, 2, 1..." Hyunwoo counted down, trying to suppress his laughter before guiding her fingers to the piano keys.

The song went smoothly during practice, a mere rehearsal, yet it was executed flawlessly. Even the cast and staff present were awed by the exceptional performance. If the rehearsal was this impressive, everyone could only imagine how outstanding the actual performance would be.

As the hours slipped by, they were now just an hour away from departing for their busking session at another picturesque location in the Netherlands. Baekhyun had prepared himself and was now enjoying a moment of tranquility on the balcony. The cool breeze brushed against his skin, bringing a sense of calm.

However, his peaceful solitude was disrupted when the entrance to the balcony swung open once again. He looked up to see a familiar figure stepping onto the balcony. Unaware that the space was already occupied, she had the same intention – to find a peaceful moment.

It was the scent that gave her away, the distinct fragrance that she had come to associate with him. "S-sorry... I thought no one was here," Kim Taeyeon stammered, about to step back as she realized someone was already present.

"Stay," Baekhyun's voice was gentle yet commanding, and he patted the bench beside him, inviting her to join him.

Recognizing the situation, Taeyeon hesitated briefly but then decided to sit beside him. She was well aware that their private conversation would leave no visible trace of their interaction, so she felt more at ease taking the offered seat. At that moment, her pride took a backseat to her desire for a genuine connection.

"What's the question?" she inquired after settling down beside him.

"I once ordered a milk tea in Korea, and the employee asked me about the sugar level. I don't know why she laughed at me when I said 'level 1.' What was I supposed to say?" Baekhyun asked, his tone light-hearted.

The question was so unexpectedly silly that Taeyeon burst into laughter, her joy filling the air. "Are you serious?! How could you not know what sugar level she was talking about? That's hilarious," she managed to say amidst her laughter.

Baekhyun's own chuckles joined hers, a true smile forming on his lips. "I managed to make you laugh, huh?"

Taeyeon's laughter eventually subsided, and her smile transformed into a more subdued one as she looked away, her gaze fixed on the surrounding view. Baekhyun followed her lead, allowing a comfortable silence to envelop them both, the shared moment offering an unexpected bridge between them.

"Baekhyun..." His name slipped from her lips, and his heart skipped a beat as he met her gaze, absorbing every word she was about to say.

"If you desperately wanted to catch a rabbit, but no matter how hard you tried, it kept eluding you. Would you persist in trying to catch it?" Her question hung in the air, carrying a weight that tugged at his thoughts.

"Well... If I truly wanted that rabbit, I wouldn't give up until I managed to catch it," Baekhyun responded after a moment of contemplation.

"Imagine you're in a park, and there are people all around who are actively preventing you from catching the rabbit. Would you still persist?" Taeyeon's tone shifted, becoming more earnest.

"Absolutely," Baekhyun affirmed with a determined nod.

"Even if catching that rabbit could potentially harm you, would you still pursue it?" Her question took an unexpected turn, prompting Baekhyun to pause and wonder about the direction of their conversation.

He considered her inquiry carefully, choosing honesty over anything else. "If I knew that catching it might cause me harm, I would have to reevaluate whether it's worth pursuing. I wouldn't want something that could harm me, but if it's important to me, I'd be willing to face the challenges."

As her words took on a quieter, almost whispered quality, Baekhyun strained to catch every syllable. Her next statement carried a sense of vulnerability that stirred his curiosity.

"That's good. It means the rabbit won't have to worry about losing you."

Her words hung in the air, leaving a profound impact on him. The significance of her analogy was not lost on him, and he felt a flicker of hope. He didn't dare to assume too much, but her words seemed to carry an underlying message, a glimmer of understanding that reached out to him across the space between them.