Chapter 1

"What's my next schedule, oppa?" Kim Taeyeon inquired as she settled into her usual seat within her van.

"Rehearsal at JTBC for Begin Again," her manager responded, his focus split between Taeyeon's query and the iPad he was using for work.

A faint frown etched across the singer's features as she reclined against the backrest, arms crossed. A visible air of annoyance surrounded her, as she knit her eyebrows together with evident displeasure. This particular schedule was not one she looked forward to.

The upcoming rehearsal marked their final one before embarking as a team for the show in two days. A brief respite had been granted to them by the production, a much-needed break before they set off. Yet, Taeyeon's schedule remained a whirlwind of appointments. Recordings at her agency and other commitments held her time captive. The concept of a true break was an alien notion in her demanding work routine.

"The fans are already aware of the show. Fanwars have cropped up – conflicts between your fans and his. Do you not think this might tarnish everything? Kim Taeyeon, let me caution you for the final time—"

Interrupting her manager's irksome tirade, Taeyeon emitted a weary sigh, her patience waning.

"There's no turning back now. Besides... there's no point in dwelling on it further. The actual busking is in two days, the production won't allow any last-minute changes," she retorted, her tone tinged with frustration.

"Your mother approached me about this, didn't she? You didn't inform her? I'm well aware I am just a mere manager. Yet, as your manager, it's my duty to be concerned, especially when I work for your benefit. Taeyeon, you don't have to—"

"I'm a stubborn, headstrong person, aren't I? Well... it seems like he's up for a challenge. I contemplated withdrawing, not wishing to stir up complications. However, I was cast for the show before he was, right? And another thing, isn't it wiser to confront backlash from the media rather than face-to-face? The majority there barely know us. It won't cause a significant disruption. I'll brace myself for any consequences before the show airs. Please, oppa, don't worry. I won't let anyone down. If anyone should shoulder responsibility, I'm more than willing to do so. I know you're just concerned, but please, I don't want to show my weakness. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding myself, following the setback from a mistake six years ago. I'm making strides, and this show will help me move forward." Taeyeon concluded in a composed manner, all the while relishing the scenic view of the city beyond the van's window.

Her manager found himself at a loss for words, his silence bearing the weight of his concerns for the unfolding events. Quiet contemplation settled between them, his thoughts racing with unease about the impending future.

Finally, they arrived at the practice room within the JTBC building. Protocol dictated that they exchange pleasantries before commencing rehearsals.

The ex-couple's interactions were kept to a bare minimum. Taeyeon tried so hard to avoid any hint of interaction with him, but Byun Baekhyun seemed somewhat clueless.

The palpable awkwardness rippled through the staff, prompted by the way the EXO vocalist's gaze lingered upon the lone star. His glances were prolonged, his eyes tracing a deliberate path that always seemed to end up on her serene visage. The concept of subtlety eluded him entirely.

Thankfully, the incident went unnoticed by the public eye; it hadn't been broadcasted.

After several hours of practice, the rehearsal finally concluded, and the cast exchanged their goodbyes. The room resonated with the repeated phrases "Thank you" and "You've worked hard."

Baekhyun approached his manager, a bottle of water in hand, and seated himself. "Byun Baekhyun, I've warned you repeatedly. Can't you control your gaze? Were you aware of how many times you eyes had wandered to her? This is bound to trigger a major problem, do you realize that?" his manager admonished sternly.