Special Chapter

March 9, 2023

The familiar ringtone filled the room, and Taeyeon couldn't suppress the grin that instantly lit up her face. Picking up the phone, she was greeted by the exuberant voice she had been missing. "Happy Birthday!!!" Baekhyun's voice overflowed with joy, making her day even more special.

"Thank you, Baek! It's surprising you called. Aren't phone calls restricted there?" She asked, playfully, as she neatly packed her essentials into her tote bag for the day ahead.

Chuckling, Baekhyun responded, "Taengoo, it's a Saturday. They let us have our phones over the weekend. Also, it's a special day, isn't it? I couldn't wait till evening to wish you a happy birthday." His voice carried a hint of teasing.

With a chuckle, Taeyeon replied, "Oh, that slipped my mind. Been so engrossed with my work lately. Speaking of which, I apologize for not picking up your calls last night; the schedules have been insane." Her voice was tinged with genuine regret. With her new album on the horizon, she's had her hands full juggling commitments.

"No worries, love. I've been following the drill here, staying out of trouble, just as you advised." Baekhyun tried to sound cheeky, referencing how Taeyeon had emphasized the importance of discipline during his military service. "I can't wait to see you," he added, his voice softening.

The warmth in his voice made Taeyeon's heart flutter. "I've missed you so much," she whispered. She was well aware of his regular attempts to reach out to her every evening, but with her packed schedule, their timelines rarely aligned.

His laugh was infectious. "I'm glad to know I'm missed. But hey, just two more days and then you'll be able to smother me with all those missed kisses," he teased.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, but her smile betrayed her amusement. "Shut up, little boy," she retorted playfully, recognizing his familiar antics.

"I mean, I'm technically enlisted and all, yet you still refer to me as a 'little boy'?" Baekhyun feigned offense, his tone playful. "But hey, if you need anything, anything at all, let me know. I have friends outside who can get it to you."

She giggled, "How about a kiss?"

Baekhyun scoffed, pretending to be flustered, "And just how am I supposed to send that through a courier?"

The sounds of hustle and bustle came through from Taeyeon's end. "Ah, shit! I have to go. We have preparations for the vlive later. I love you." Taeyeon's voice was hurried, filled with the familiar whirlwind of her life's pace.

He started, "Wait, before you go, happy birthday once again. I-", but before he could finish, the line went dead.

He let out a melodramatic sigh, causing his lips to make a funny, whistle-like noise. Shaking his head with a fond smile, he mused aloud, "Why on earth did I fall for that quirky woman?" Chuckling to himself, he popped his earbuds in and lost himself in the comforting embrace of music.

.

As Taeyeon entered the SM Entertainment building, the halls echoed with warm wishes and enthusiastic greetings for her special day. Everywhere she went, staff members, juniors, her SJ seniors, and even the top echelons of the company, including executive directors and CEOs, all had a word of birthday cheer for her. The legendary Lee Sooman himself made it a point to send his wishes her way. Her designated room was practically overflowing with thoughtful gifts - tokens of appreciation from her fans and even from fellow celebrities who couldn't find the time to greet her in person.

One of the staff, someone she had grown quite close to over the years, approached her amidst the busy atmosphere of the SM communication center. "Taeyeon-ssi, the pink room is ready for your V-live session," they said, indicating the direction she should head.