Chapter 6: Just Admit It, You Like Him

"Oh look, a firefly!", you shout, pointing to the floating green light in the air.
"Well, it's July, so I guess they are out and about", Asahi said.

Summer break had begun and it was the night before the Tokyo training camp at Nekoma High. Your mom invited Asahi and his mom over to your house so that they could eat the barbeque she was preparing. You watched as the two moms laughed and mingled in the kitchen while you sat on the steps outside next to Asahi. The two of you admired the fireflies that were now illuminating your backyard. You felt like your mom was courting you with Asahi just because he was a guy and you were a girl and you were not having it.

I don't like this! I don't like this at all! I know what she's doing...she did this with my last boyfriend. Trying to get friendly with the boy's mom so when there's a wedding, you guys are already BFFs. UGGHH!! I'm going to kill her...but I'm not mad that Asahi's here though, I love seeing him...but what? I'm sitting next to him, so we are going to hold hands?!?! I know she is looking at us BUT IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN MOM! NEVER!

You now frustrated at your mom's schemes, refocus your attention on the fireflies flying around in the air. Asahi looks at you and admires your face. He caught himself staring at you and to stop himself from continuing, he attempted to make conversation.

"So, the training camp tomorrow! Are you excited? Coach said that other than Nekoma, there will be other schools there. I wonder who they could be!"

"Yeah, I think it's really cool that we got invited. I think it will be good to practice as much as possible so we can be ready for Spring Interhigh.", you said. "But, the real question is are you excited to work hard, Mr. Ace?", you said, nudging Asahi in the arm. He chuckled and nodded his head yes. You both laughed and went back to gazing at the glowing lights when a fact you learned in elementary school popped into your head.

"Hey, did you know that fireflies' butts glow because they are looking for a mate? So, we're basically watching a bunch of horny bugs looking for someone to bang", you explained with a straight face.

Asahi became flustered and covered his eyes with his hands. "OH MY GOD, Y/N?!? I KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT BUT WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT SO BLUNTLY?!? WE SHOULD GIVE THEM SOME PRIVACY!!", he shouted, wishing he had never known he was watching bugs who were in the mood.

You laughed at Asahi's innocence being shattered, knowing you have corrupted his view of firefly season forever. "You're so cute, but yeah, we should let them do their business. Also, I think the food is done", you said, standing up to head inside.

"I'm cute?!?", Asahi said. He looked backed to see you already in the kitchen and got up to join you.

Your mom had made an array of food, from ribs to smoked peppers. Everyone at the table dug in and gave your mother praise for the meal she had prepared. Your mom said it was no problem and she wanted to do something nice for the friends you and her made since moving to Japan. As you and Asahi ate, the moms started talking about how well their children got along.

"I am so happy that Y/N walks home with Asahi every day after school. You have raised such a respectful young man", your mom said while looking at Asahi. Asahi bowed his head to show how he appreciated the comment.

"Yes, he is! He's just like his father. But, I am glad to see he has made another friend and one that has the same interest as him", Asahi's mom said, looking over to you. "So, manager of the volleyball team? How do you like it so far? I know you guys have a training camp tomorrow"

"It's really good. I was able to meet amazing people like Asahi, Kiyoko, and the rest of the team and that was really good considering I just transferred to a foreign country."