Chapter 14: With Or Without You

"Is it centered?"

"Yes, perfect!", your sewing instructor confirmed. "Now press the pedal and slowly push it through...like this..."

Asahi leaned over and put his hand on top of yours, teaching you how to use his sewing machine. You pressed on the pedal and looked back at him to make sure you were doing it right. Your boyfriend assured you that you were doing well and slowly took his hands away, taking the training wheels off the bike.

You finished the stitch and Asahi turned off the machine. "For your first try, this is really good!" Asahi praised, sliding his thumb along the seam you sowed.

"Thank you!", you smiled. "Well, I do have the best teacher in the world."

"I-I'm not that good...", Asahi blushed. "but I'm flattered by your compliment."

Asahi took the piece of fabric you sowed and put it together with another. "OK, I'll do this part. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it."

You got up from the chair to let Asahi sit. "Oh, no problem! Thank you for letting me help." You gave your boyfriend a peck and he turned on the machine.

He began to work on his project for his design class which was creating a jumpsuit that someone would purchase at a store. You sat back on Asahi's bed as you watched the boy work diligently. Asahi had a big, chunky clip holding his hair back with a pencil behind his ear. You watched him press the sewing machine pedal with his bare feet as a breeze rushed in, blowing through his tank top creating goosebumps on his arms. He would usually shudder due to him being sensitive to the cold, but he was so focused he didn't budge. You watched in amazement as your boyfriend's steady hands sewed the two pieces of fabric together.

He's incredible!

"...and we are just about...done!"

The sewing machine powered down as Asahi stood up from his chair, feeling accomplished by his work. He walked over to his standing mannequin and slipped the jumpsuit on it. Stepping back in astonishment, Asahi gazed at his creation and smiled from ear to ear.

You got up from the bed and walked behind him, placing your hands around his waist. "I guess you weren't lying when you said you were good with your hands..."

"What hands? These hands?", Asahi laughed, taking his "magic fingers" and grabbing your hands that were around his waist.

You kissed the back of his toned neck wholesomely. "If that was in a store, I would so buy that!", you said, placing your head on his shoulder. "I'm so proud of you."

No other phrase, except "I love you", meant the world to Asahi. He felt his spirits shoot up to the sky; the gentle giant had been doubting himself lately and you were a constant reminder of things in his life he could be proud to call "his" .

"I wish things could stay like this forever...", Asahi softly whispered.

"I wish they could, too..."

Asahi's heart started to beat with happiness, thinking you were about to say what he was thinking but as he felt you slip from his grip, the mood shifted to a state of uncertainty.

"...but sometimes life throws something your way and you have to stop dreaming and get back to reality...", you said to yourself. You sat on the edge of the bed leaving your boyfriend puzzled due to the sudden change in mood.

"W-What do you mean by that?", Asahi laughed nervously. "I mean you're right but you're making it seem like life threw something at you right now!"

There was a second of silence before you looked up at Asahi with restless eyes.

How do I tell him?