Chapter 3

"Mark, I'm telling you, it's not worth booking the day off the head to Vancouver to see a game," Derek sighed, looking down at the chart in his hands.

"Give me one good reason why it's not," Mark shrugged as he ran his hand up and down Addison's back.

"The team sucks this season," Derek shrugged.

"Not the point."

"It kind of is."

"When was the last time we went to Vancouver to see a game?" Mark asked. "Might be fun."

"It's been a while," Derek nodded. "And a weekend away wouldn't kill me but...they suck."

"Doesn't mean they'll suck in a couple weeks."

"They've sucked all season."

"Come on, Shep, one weekend away. Hockey, maybe some hot chicks..."

"Maybe some hot chicks?" Addison asked, raising an eyebrow.

"For Derek," Mark said quickly, his hand moving to rest just above her ass.

"Oh I'm sure," Addison rolled her eyes.

"Shep needs to get laid," Mark grinned, leaning forward to catch her earlobe between his teeth. "I got laid an hour ago. Shooting for another round."

"Keep shooting," Addison rolled her eyes. "But you guys should definitely go."

"And this is why I...like you so much," Mark stammered. "See, Shep, Addie thinks we should go."

"She just wants you to go away."

"She'd miss me."

"Keep telling yourself that," Derek sighed.

"Come on, Shep, weekend in Vancouver."

"Fine," Derek sighed.

"Der...Dr. Shepherd?" Meredith's voice caused all three of them to suddenly turn.

"M...Dr. Grey," Derek nodded quickly.

"Sorry to interrupt," she nodded, smiling slightly in Addison's direction. "I just wanted to know if you had a moment to look at these CT scans for me and confirm a diagnosis."

"Of course," Derek sighed. "Let me see them."

"They're for Mrs. Cassidy in 4401," Meredith explained, passing the scans to him. "It looks like spinal stenosis, but she's just turned forty. Which then gave me the idea to maybe look for a fusion of the spine..."

"Yeah, yeah," Derek nodded. "What did you find?"

"A large tumor at the base of the spine," Meredith pointed out. "Which explains the stenosis."

"It does," Derek sighed. "It's there."

"It is," she nodded, looking over his shoulder as he examined the scans.

"How do we proceed?" he asked.

"Surgery may leave her paralyzed," Meredith sighed, biting her lip.

"And?"

"And...if the tumor grows, she'll end up paralyzed. It's lose lose."

"It is," Derek nodded.

"But we could proceed," Meredith nodded. "Lumbar fusion. It may leave her paralyzed but..."

"It's risky," Derek groaned.

"It is risky. But it gives her the best..."

"Her best chance is living with it now as she's going to end up paralyzed either way."