Chapter 8 - Halloween

About a week passed by and it was already Halloween. When I was younger, I wasn't exactly allowed to celebrate any holidays. When I got to York New, I realized that there were lots of things I had never experienced. Luckily enough, my coworkers at Firefly were determined to let me have as much fun as possible whenever I was with them.

Sure, I liked doing things on my own, but at least one kind of social event or outing a week was necessary for me not to feel lonely. Whenever I'm with Priscilla and Aito, I forget about all my other problems and instead focus on having a good time. So that's what I was going to do that night: have fun.

Kurapika and I called and texted a bit from the last time we met up until now. He still wasn't sure if he could make it to the casino but promised to let me know by the time I was off of work.

"Okay, so, do you want to be the devil or the angel? Or wait—a cat and a bunny?" Priscilla asked.

The casino was allowing visitors to wear costumes. Obviously, anything that was completely outrageous or inappropriate was prohibited, but I hadn't planned on wearing anything like that anyway.

"Hmm... devil," I decided.

"Alright! Just follow me to my house when we get off. We'll change there."

I nodded and finished up my shift for the day. Once the clock struck three, I got in my car, following behind Priscilla. We went inside her apartment to change into our outfits. Mine was a satin, black, cowl neck dress. I wore black fishnets and thigh-high boots. The matching devil horns were the finishing touch.

Priscilla came out of the bathroom in a white body-con dress. The sleeves were long, puffy, and made of mesh. She wore lace-up stilettos, and a soft halo sat on her head.

"You look so good!" she complimented me. "You are literally perfect. You can't tell me that friend of yours doesn't have a thing for you..."

I rolled my eyes and smiled as my cheeks slightly heated up at her remark. "Thank you, you look so pretty too. And do you mean Kurapika? Because it's not like that at all; I have no idea where you got that from. Besides, I literally just met him."

She raised her eyebrows and smirked. "The fact that you assumed I was talking about him tells me all I need to know."

I elbowed her gently. "That's because he's the only friend I have that isn't also a friend of yours. Now, will you stop?"

Priscilla walked into the living room and molded her body into the sofa. "I'm just messing with you! Hey, we have some time to spare; we should take some pictures!"

Twenty minutes passed. Nothing. Forty minutes. An hour. Another thirty minutes. Still no response from Kurapika.

He obviously isn't coming. Could he not make time to respond to me?

"Sorry, but I'm not waiting any longer on that boy. It's five o'clock now. We're leaving," Priscilla told me. I agreed and entered my vehicle, following behind her.

I pulled into the parking garage of the casino and parked near her car. I unbuckled myself as Priscilla walked towards me, waiting outside my vehicle. She gave me a soft smile as we made our way to the elevator. We arrived at the coat check and I wriggled out of my black coat, handing it to the man behind the counter. Not long later, we were at the bar.

"Is he coming?" Priscilla asked, downing a shot of Vodka.

"I'm not sure. He hasn't responded since last night. Could be a work thing."

She hummed and placed her chin in her palm. We conversed for a few more minutes when a familiar—and annoying—voice interrupted.

"There you are. I've been looking all over for you," a woman in a revealing nurse costume said.