fifteen

"... so yeah, i mean, that's about it when it comes to my project," kotori said before lifting her head up and staring at the man in front of her, sighing as she realized she spent around thirty minutes talking to a wall. "are you listening?"

"huh? oh yeah, sorry" bokuto chuckled as he turned back to her, his eyes adjusting to the picture in front of him. since when was he staring outside? oh well, didn't matter.

"are you okay? you didn't have to meet up with me if you didn't want to" she spoke, hurrying to fix the strands of hair obstructing her view. she watched as bokuto shook his head and gave her a small smile.

"no no, i did want to go, sorry. i'm just a bit... out of it today?" bokuto chuckled before inhaling deeply. what was he even doing? out of all the times to be distracted he had to be distracted in front of a beautiful girl. where was his mind even wandering off anyway? oh yeah... to a couple of days ago in town.

bokuto was out with friends, well, if you can even call them that. after that conversation with iwaizumi, he really took everything in only to realize that he never really agreed with them and what they were doing. they were unruly, wild, always doing things one step away from illegal activity - but with them, bokuto felt different, like he finally mattered.

maybe it was that sense of power that he got that drove him to hang out with them all the time. that day was no exception, with hopes of getting his life back on track, bokuto decided to hang out with them once again. he can clearly remember walking down the street until his eyes spotted a familiar head of hair on the other side of the street. 

of course... akaashi just had to be there. but more than anything, he was holding the hand of that other guy that bokuto saw around the dorm often. they were just out there, together, not afraid of what anyone would say - and akaashi looked so happy. smiling, talking, just having a good time. bokuto wondered back then if he had enough courage to go out with akaashi publicly would things be different? but then again why would he go out... he's not gay right? 

maybe that's why he was in the cafe with kotori right now, desperate to prove to himself that he was normal, that he was attracted to women - yet as more seconds passed he found himself not being attracted to kotori at all. she was... gorgeous. long brown hair and dark eyes, her lips light pink, she was just average height with a gorgeous figure  - she was everything and yet.

"wanna talk about it?" she asked placing her hand on bokuto's.

"i'm just confused lately... not much to say there"

"is it love stuff?"

"love stuff?"

"you look like you recently went through a break-up"

bokuto stared at kotori with wide eyes. was it that visible that he felt like absolute trash? he hated to admit it, he didn't want to - but the fact was that he felt awful for treating akaashi in such a way. maybe part of him believed that he could get away with anything and still keep his place with the popular guys, maybe part of him was convinced that akaashi would stay.

they were together for months. well, not together, but they knew each other pretty well. what was at first just nights spent together with little words spoken later turned into long conversations in each other's arms. so where did it all go wrong? was it the gay rumor? was it the comments he started making that made akaashi go away? quite possibly.

yet he hated to admit it. he hated to admit the fact that there was chemistry between him and akaashi. 

"you know, you might think i approached you because you are handsome, which you are, but i really approached you because you looked really sad. i want to be your friend" kotori followed up with words bokuto did not expect to hear at all.