chapter twenty nine || cruz family

M I G U E L

M I G U E L

MY DAD LET'S OUT A SIGN, as we pull up into the garage at my house.

When I landed, I was very surprised to see my dad already waiting for me in the airport. But it was most definitely a good one.

The garage door closes behind us and my dad kills the engine. With a big smile on his face he turns over to me. "Home sweet home."

My turn to sigh. I'm glad to be home, though I can already imagine the amount of food my mom has probably made and the amount of questions I'm gonna get as soon as I walk through the door.

   Before Violet left yesterday I ended up posting a pic of us on my instagram (which I hardly post and I only post my friends) so needless to say that everyone was making a big deal. It was a subtle post. I didn't show her face, nor did I tag her but most people at school know about us and they commented her name and that was enough for my nosy ass sister to blow my phone up with texts and she told my mom.

I undo my seatbelt and hop out of the car, following my dad. Who's already opening up the truck to get my bags out. Rubbing a hand over my face, I turn and give my dad small smile. "I forget just how warm it is over here. It's way too cold up North for me."

"Yeah," My dad laughs. "Us Texas folk ain't built for that type of cold."

"We sure ain't. I missed home." I say, and he comes up wrapping one arm around my neck.

"We sure missed you."

My dad pushes the garage door that leads into the kitchen open and immediately I inhale the sweet scent of my moms fresh baked goods. This woman went crazy baking everything she was able to get her hands on: chocolate chip, sugar and peanut butter cookies. Brownies and a apple pie. and she displayed everything so beautifully on the kitchen counter.

"Baby!" My mom steals and runs over to me from the living room area. Wrapping both of her small arms around my waist, pulling me into a hug and my sister following behind her. "My baby! Look at you!" My mom gushes taking a step back.

"Hey ma." I smile. And my sister moves in to hug me. "Hi ugly." I say as we hug and she smacks my arm.

"You know you missed me bichito." Mia smirks and I roll my eyes. She knows I hate that nickname.

   "Your nosy butt? I don't think so. And don't call me that." I bite back but she just laughs.

   "Oh Miguel, stop it." My moms chimes in. "You know everyone calls you that." She chuckles. And she's not wrong. My dads mom—my grandma—was the one who named me. She always said I was a love bug. The name stuck and eventually everyone just started to also call me that.

   "Yes, thanks to mami Lola." And the thought of my grandma stings a bit, she passed away when I was thirteen but I miss her like crazy. She lived with us most of her life and we were all extremely attached to her. When I was small I liked the nickname but my sister would call me that everywhere so I grew to hate it.