Chapter 15- Say Something

1 and a half months later

Arizona's POV

I am pregnant. I was pregnant with our baby. I couldn't believe it, I was pregnant.

Amelia and I decided I would get pregnant first, with her embryo. And when we decided to have another baby, she would carry and have my embryo.

Who knew this is where my life would be? I wouldn't have it any other way though. It's unconventional and non-traditional, and that's how most of my life has been.

I love Amelia, and I already love this little bundle of joy inside of me. I couldn't wait to tell her about this. Maybe I could come up with a plan to tell her today.

Oh what if I ran to the baby store and got something that said 'Hi Mama," and gave it to her with a bunch of clues that I was pregnant. Maybe baby themed candy or something like that. 

This was so exciting and I couldn't wait to get her reaction!

Before I could think anymore, I was being paged 911 to a scan room by Derek. Oh no, I wonder if our patient from the other day had a re-bleed, so I went to the room at a fast paced walk.

When I got there, he was pacing the room nervously. But then I saw a petite brunette sitting on the couch. Amelia? Why was Amelia there?

"Hey baby, I didn't know you had a break. I would have come found you. I've got something exciting to tel---" I am cut off by her tugging me down to the couch into a tight hug. "I love you, Arizona. More than anything in the world." She says to me. She looks sad and I don't know what's going on. As she's hugging me, I look at the scans and see a beautiful tumor on the board. It was perfectly shaped and could be difficult to remove.

Then I saw it, I saw the first initial and last name on the scans. A. Shepherd. It was her tumor, how long has she had this tumor? Why didn't she tell me? My mind was going one hundred miles a minute. My breathing started to get shallow.

I started to sob as I said, "W--why didn't y-you tell m-me?" She pulled back and looked into my eyes as she cupped my cheek. "I didn't want to worry you until I knew what was going on." She stated. "How long have you known?" I asked with a serious face. "3 months." She said nervously. "Amelia Frances Shepherd, you have known about this for 3 months and you didn't tell me?!" I said kind of angry. I whip around to face Derek. "And YOU, you knew about this and didn't tell me either?!" I got up and approached him. I got close to him and repeated louder, "You didn't tell me!!" I said as I banged my fists on his chest, and as I did I collapsed into him and he caught me as I sobbed. 

I felt another hand rubbing my back and I knew it was Amelia. Why did they keep me in the dark about this? If Amelia knew about this 3 months ago, she knew before we decided to have a baby. I wouldn't want a baby without her, I can't even think right now, let alone speak. So Derek and Amelia bring me over to the couch again and sit us down.

"Arizona, I wanted to tell you. I just didn't know when that time would be. I didn't want to come to you until I knew we had a solid plan. Until we could for sure take it out without hesitation. It grew as you can see, so we cannot wait. Tom Koracick is coming in from Boston to take the point on the surgery and Derek will be there. We have to do this today, it cannot wait. I am sorry for not telling you, but I was only trying to protect you. I hope you know that." She finishes.

"Nothing could protect me from the truth, Amy. I am so mad at you. I really am, but I am going to be here for you." I say. Just then, a nurse comes in and tells Amelia it's time to get ready.

"I understand if you don't want to speak to me right now or come with me. I'll be in room 554 if you decide." She says. She gets up to leave and lets go of me, but I grab her wrist to stop her and pull her in my lap. "I may be mad at you, but I am not leaving you right now. I can't believe you'd think I would leave you with this by yourself." I say with tears coming from my eyes. She rests her forehead on mine and I do the same to her. She doesn't say anything except giving me a smile and getting up.